Serger

I bought a used serger machine today to replace one I was borrowing from a friend. I do some sewing and alterations work on the side.

A friend went with me and asked if you could use a serger in piecing. Has anyone heard of anyone using a serger when they piece a quilt?

KnotKnut,

I was always told that you shouldn't use a serger if you are going to hand quilt an item because of the bulk at the seams but a machine usually doesn't have a lot of trouble. I agree with Beth. I make enough mistakes when I piece and I have to rip out a lot. I don't want to remove multiple rows of stitching. I think if the fabric frayed a lot, I might serge it.

Colleen

P.S. I have to teach knot tying a Girl Scout camp in August. I read your earlier post about macrame. Any suggestions for some very simple projects that we could do in a 45 minute time slot?

I have a friend who has an eye site problem and she can't hold a true 1/4 inch so has turned to her serger to do the work for her. She sews ALL of her quilts with her Bernina and I've had the pleasure of quilting them....I do have to say that sometimes the seams are a little rough to get over as she sometimes twists the way the should lay, but overall it seems to work for her and with a large meandering (all she likes) works well also.

Originally posted by Calicoquilter

P.S. I have to teach knot tying a Girl Scout camp in August. I read your earlier post about macrame. Any suggestions for some very simple projects that we could do in a 45 minute time slot?

Colleen: Friendship bracelets...simple plant hanger...Key fob...just a few off the top of my head.:)

Hi Knotknut:

I had a quilting teacher once that serged all her quilt tops, & then insed of quilting them she used them as duvet covers, on all her beds. You can wash them, and they never fall apart (not something I should be saying on a quilting forum I'm sure :o)

I thought it was a good option, if you where a prolific piecer & didn't like to quilt much. My Mom has used a serger to piece quilt tops that were made of knit fabrics, then we tied them with wool, they turned out really good.

I think any machine that sews two pieces fo fabric together, can be used for quilting, you just have to think out of the box.

my 2 cents ;)

Archived