Quilting with No Batting - Raw Silk/Wool/Flannel

Hello,

I would really appreciate some input on this situation. A customer has asked me to quilt a top that is wool applique on raw woven silk squares. She just wants me to ditch the squares and outline the wool applique designs to secure them (no quilting definition really wanted). She provided a flannel back, but would prefer no batting. I do have a QD request batting that I told her I might need to use, as I have never quilted without a batting before. I am just about ready to load it, but a friend of mine told me that raw woven silk can be very tricky and that the batting might beard through it. This quilt would be a wall hanging - not on a bed, at least that is my understanding.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could provide. Thank you. Becky

D

Well first off we need more imput/data.

How small is wallhanging. If it's fairly small and will have a full back sleeve I have done a few without battings. But they don't really hang smoothly or straight without a wave.

Now my other question is how large are the blocks or how large of space will there be between ditch work and appliqué work. If the spaces are large there will be the possible chance of it getting wonky after it's washed.

And lastly are the seams pressed open or off to one side. Quilts without battings sometime have a lumpy feel with the seams showing and they just don't look good regardless of how they are used.

I would give the customer all facts and let her/him decide, however still trying to convince them to at least a thin one in. ;)

The top is 72"x72" and the blocks are 12". However, the wool applique designs pretty much fill most of the block area, so I don't think there would be more than 3" unquilted. She was okay with my using a thin batt, which is why I mentioned the QD request to her, although it's not my favorite for machine quilting. She just doesn't want any more weight or thickness added to it. Do you think I'd be safe using the QD Request with it?

Wow and she is calling this a wallhanging. Oh I hang quilts that are that large but still call them quilts. Wallhangings to me are 24x24 at the largest.

Request is going to be really thin, but will give some body. Won't guarantee that it won't wave with that little quilting. Are you going across the appliquéd area. With the blocks being that large you might need more quilting. Ditch work and just around the applique might leave a pooch area in the centers if they are rather large. Is there anyway you can post a picture. That might help also.

I have quilted with raw silk with no problems with bearding -- I find that it quilts up beautifully. I don't think that you will have a problem with it.

Normally, the request loft of Quilters Dream is too thin, but with a flannel back, and applique, there would probably be enough thickness for your machine to run smoothly; however -- what machine are you using? If you find that you are having tension problems -- you may need to lower your hopping foot to adjust for the thinner quilt sandwich.

I think this project would work fine -- just take your time to load carefully, and quilt slowly.

I am using my APQS Millenium to quilt this. Sorry, I should have mentioned that too.

Yes, I am going around/across the largest parts of the applique to stabilize all, but not into detail (per her request).

Unfortunately, my camera is on the fritz or I would post a photo, as I know that gives a better idea of what I've been talking about.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

I think you can do the quilting with just the flannel if you lower your hopping foot so you can get a decent stitch. I'd ask her for some scraps and do some testing first and I'd also warn her that the back might not be as pretty since it will be so thin. I would worry most about how it will hang like as Bonnie said it might not hang great. I would also make sure there is enough quilting in it so that the pieces don't sag over time when hanging. Good luck.

Archived