CL Spirals

For those of you who have the CL spirals template, can you tell me the measurements you use to get yours to just barely touch on the outside edges shen you do one after another after another? I want to do a quilt using the spirals and don't have this part down yet. Below is the pic from their website and I love the way it looks. That's what I want to do.

For those of you who have the CL spirals template, can you tell me the measurements you use to get yours to just barely touch on the outside edges shen you do one after another after another? I want to do a quilt using the spirals and don't have this part down yet. Below is the pic from their website and I love the way it looks. That's what I want to do.

post--13461904308249_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Sylvia - I think you may be "over-thinking" this. To me, it appears that whoever did this quilt simply centered the spiral on the little green blocks, then spiraled out till they nearly got to the block intersections. It does give a nice even measured look, but I think it's far simpler than you think it is!

Linda

Guest Linda S

Sylvia - I think you may be "over-thinking" this. To me, it appears that whoever did this quilt simply centered the spiral on the little green blocks, then spiraled out till they nearly got to the block intersections. It does give a nice even measured look, but I think it's far simpler than you think it is!

Linda

Linda, I think you are right. I recently got this template but haven't used it yet. It gives a lot of movement and great look to a quilt! I love the way the small spirals are nested between the larger ones on this quilt.

Sylvia, I think if you don't have a point to use as the center of the spiral (like the green boxes on the posted picture) just mark the quilt every "X" inches as the center point and then be sure the spirals can almost touch the way you want them to, before moving one to the next. Make sense?

Linda, I think you are right. I recently got this template but haven't used it yet. It gives a lot of movement and great look to a quilt! I love the way the small spirals are nested between the larger ones on this quilt.

Sylvia, I think if you don't have a point to use as the center of the spiral (like the green boxes on the posted picture) just mark the quilt every "X" inches as the center point and then be sure the spirals can almost touch the way you want them to, before moving one to the next. Make sense?

If you are following Carmen's suggestion (which is good), be sure to measure the full space of the row you are going to put circles in so you know how many full circles you will have. Unless you want to end up with half circles on the edges. If it was me, I would have forgotten to think of that before I started!

Have fun.

If you are following Carmen's suggestion (which is good), be sure to measure the full space of the row you are going to put circles in so you know how many full circles you will have. Unless you want to end up with half circles on the edges. If it was me, I would have forgotten to think of that before I started!

Have fun.

Re. the measuring, I think start in the center and measure out to the edges. Then you will be able to make full circles at the edges, or half circles if you so desire. And to make sure the entire spiral will fit the space, before stitching just move the stylus around the outside grove of the template to see where the stitching line will be on the quilt.

I think Mary Beth is talking about stitching direction on the template itself, which would be from the outside to center back to the outside.

Re. the measuring, I think start in the center and measure out to the edges. Then you will be able to make full circles at the edges, or half circles if you so desire. And to make sure the entire spiral will fit the space, before stitching just move the stylus around the outside grove of the template to see where the stitching line will be on the quilt.

I think Mary Beth is talking about stitching direction on the template itself, which would be from the outside to center back to the outside.

Glad you brought this up - I just brought home a quilt for a friend that this would look great on! She was asking for just an overall meander - and I wanted to surprise her with something better - this would be perfect!!!! :cool:

Sylvia - I agree with the others as to how that quilt in the photo was done. Also - note that in the photo they only quilted the one path in (or out - what ever works for you) they did not quilt both paths on the template. That is usually how I do it to. I drop the stylus down into the start of the path in the center of the disk and move that to the center of my block or design, then quilt my way out.

Glad you brought this up - I just brought home a quilt for a friend that this would look great on! She was asking for just an overall meander - and I wanted to surprise her with something better - this would be perfect!!!! :cool:

Sylvia - I agree with the others as to how that quilt in the photo was done. Also - note that in the photo they only quilted the one path in (or out - what ever works for you) they did not quilt both paths on the template. That is usually how I do it to. I drop the stylus down into the start of the path in the center of the disk and move that to the center of my block or design, then quilt my way out.

Archived