question about classes

danae

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by danae

Let me first say thankyou for all the welcoming comments!!!

I'm curious what is the most highly recommended training opportunities

I would have to travel a long distance to attend, so I'd like to get the most exposure for my money?

Hi Danae! I'm your neighbor (sort of) across the border. I live in Fairbanks area. Hey something for you to consider (being so far away like me) is to buy a few beginner DVDs to get you started. The beauty of this is you can play over and over again. There are some excellent ones out there I recommend. Here are the teacher's names.

1) Myrna Ficken http://www.aquilterschoice.com/

2) Kimmy Brunner http://www.kimmyquilt.com/

3) Jamie Wallen Mystical Cotton Tracks http://www.jamiewallen.citymax.com/home.html

4) DeLoa Jones http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/

Take a look at the DVDs these people offer. You might be able to order them all through Linda Lang @ Canadian longarm supplies -- she's located in BC. She can special order these things (and other supplies/goodies you need) all in one order. That will save on shipping. When I first got started I bought a lot of my supplies through Linda. Here's her web site.

http://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/

I try to make a trip out to the L48 once a year to take longarm classes at one of the major shows. This year I am attending Camp SonRise in NY State in October. In the past I have attended classes at MQS in Kansas. Next year I plan to attend MQX West (in Portland)

You can come over and hang with me! :P

Let me first say thankyou for all the welcoming comments!!!

I'm curious what is the most highly recommended training opportunities

I would have to travel a long distance to attend, so I'd like to get the most exposure for my money?

Hi Danae! I'm your neighbor (sort of) across the border. I live in Fairbanks area. Hey something for you to consider (being so far away like me) is to buy a few beginner DVDs to get you started. The beauty of this is you can play over and over again. There are some excellent ones out there I recommend. Here are the teacher's names.

1) Myrna Ficken http://www.aquilterschoice.com/

2) Kimmy Brunner http://www.kimmyquilt.com/

3) Jamie Wallen Mystical Cotton Tracks http://www.jamiewallen.citymax.com/home.html

4) DeLoa Jones http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/

Take a look at the DVDs these people offer. You might be able to order them all through Linda Lang @ Canadian longarm supplies -- she's located in BC. She can special order these things (and other supplies/goodies you need) all in one order. That will save on shipping. When I first got started I bought a lot of my supplies through Linda. Here's her web site.

http://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/

I try to make a trip out to the L48 once a year to take longarm classes at one of the major shows. This year I am attending Camp SonRise in NY State in October. In the past I have attended classes at MQS in Kansas. Next year I plan to attend MQX West (in Portland)

You can come over and hang with me! :P

You girls are just the best. I took Deloa and Jessica's classes a month or so back. (and I love them both!!! I learned so much that I was able to come home and use immediately!!!) I haven't had Jamie's classes. Perhaps next year - I will start saving my pennies? I have never been to NY! Wouldn't that be fun? NY!!! and I'd love to meet all of you in person.

You girls are just the best. I took Deloa and Jessica's classes a month or so back. (and I love them both!!! I learned so much that I was able to come home and use immediately!!!) I haven't had Jamie's classes. Perhaps next year - I will start saving my pennies? I have never been to NY! Wouldn't that be fun? NY!!! and I'd love to meet all of you in person.

Oh, Shana, it would be so fun to meet you but I have: 1- Taken classes from Deloa, 2-visited Hawaii, 3- Purchased the CL and a bunch of templates all this year. I need to slack off the spending before my best friend and DH (same person) moves out! Ha! He is so supportive but I don't want to push my luck. Will you all post pictures? Lots of pictures!!!

Oh, Shana, it would be so fun to meet you but I have: 1- Taken classes from Deloa, 2-visited Hawaii, 3- Purchased the CL and a bunch of templates all this year. I need to slack off the spending before my best friend and DH (same person) moves out! Ha! He is so supportive but I don't want to push my luck. Will you all post pictures? Lots of pictures!!!

Sylvia,

Oh too bad but maybe next year. It is sure to be a great camp. I've been to Camp Mowana the last 3 years and it is by far the best of all the classes I've taken. There is just so much quilting time and you learn so much. DeLoa is one of the most generous people I know and she always has so many fast and fabulous techniques that like you said you can use right away. Jessica is super talented and always offers so many great ideas. Jamie too is wonderful and one of the most patient truly genuine teachers around. You just can't go wrong! This camp is really a bargain that is for sure. I was calculating out the other day and you can get 3 nights, meals and 3 full time classes for around $650! That is a true bargain. You can get some good airfares too. Anybody that needs a ride just give me a yell.

Sylvia,

Oh too bad but maybe next year. It is sure to be a great camp. I've been to Camp Mowana the last 3 years and it is by far the best of all the classes I've taken. There is just so much quilting time and you learn so much. DeLoa is one of the most generous people I know and she always has so many fast and fabulous techniques that like you said you can use right away. Jessica is super talented and always offers so many great ideas. Jamie too is wonderful and one of the most patient truly genuine teachers around. You just can't go wrong! This camp is really a bargain that is for sure. I was calculating out the other day and you can get 3 nights, meals and 3 full time classes for around $650! That is a true bargain. You can get some good airfares too. Anybody that needs a ride just give me a yell.

I'm curious where do you fly into for this camp? It does sound interesting and reasonably priced,

I have some of the books you mentioned but I am interested in taking classes as well. When I first got my Milli i did take a beginner class with Darlene Epp It was great and i learned alot but I'm anxious to be challenged by some more advanced training

I'm curious where do you fly into for this camp? It does sound interesting and reasonably priced,

I have some of the books you mentioned but I am interested in taking classes as well. When I first got my Milli i did take a beginner class with Darlene Epp It was great and i learned alot but I'm anxious to be challenged by some more advanced training

You would fly into Albany, NY. Camp is about 1 hr 15 minutes north of there. I live about 10 minutes from the airport and will be happy to provide rides and I have room for guests if you want to come in on Sunday.

You would fly into Albany, NY. Camp is about 1 hr 15 minutes north of there. I live about 10 minutes from the airport and will be happy to provide rides and I have room for guests if you want to come in on Sunday.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Yes Sylvia! Please come - I'd love to meet ya. ;)

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Yes Sylvia! Please come - I'd love to meet ya. ;)

Hi! I have to chime in and say that I just took a 1-1 class with Myrna this week and it was awessssome!! We went over posture, technique, designs, tools, threads - you name it! She watched every move to help me figure out exactly what I was doing wrong and then came up with ways to talk me through it until I could finally wrap my brain around it. (Some designs took quite a bit of work, but she didn't give up on me!) I left totally inspired ... and exhausted! :P

Thank you so much, Myrna! It was a day I will never forget!

Nicole

PS - I woke up yesterday and could magically draw those 1,2,3s - even the feathered ones! Can't wait to stitch them out today!

Hi! I have to chime in and say that I just took a 1-1 class with Myrna this week and it was awessssome!! We went over posture, technique, designs, tools, threads - you name it! She watched every move to help me figure out exactly what I was doing wrong and then came up with ways to talk me through it until I could finally wrap my brain around it. (Some designs took quite a bit of work, but she didn't give up on me!) I left totally inspired ... and exhausted! :P

Thank you so much, Myrna! It was a day I will never forget!

Nicole

PS - I woke up yesterday and could magically draw those 1,2,3s - even the feathered ones! Can't wait to stitch them out today!

Archived