Video on attaching borders

I've seen this technique before. The obvious problem is using the center measurement to trim your border pieces. I had a quilt that was 5 inches narrower in the center. It was not that obvious since the top was 110" square. It was a nightmare anyway, but a border that measurement would have caused major fullness in the center. Any time a border is eased to fit or stretched to fit means problems for the quilter.

I've seen this technique before. The obvious problem is using the center measurement to trim your border pieces. I had a quilt that was 5 inches narrower in the center. It was not that obvious since the top was 110" square. It was a nightmare anyway, but a border that measurement would have caused major fullness in the center. Any time a border is eased to fit or stretched to fit means problems for the quilter.

Guest Linda S

How wonderful that you can't see most of what she's doing because of the subtitles. I generally take the average of the sides and middle (hoping they will all be the same). Interesting, but I wouldn't do it that way.

Guest Linda S

How wonderful that you can't see most of what she's doing because of the subtitles. I generally take the average of the sides and middle (hoping they will all be the same). Interesting, but I wouldn't do it that way.

My first thought was that she was taking an awful lot for granted when she said the the center size was normally the average of all the sides and then slapped that fabric down and whacked it off without measuring even one side. :o Seems too much like the sew on the borders and then cut off the ends technique. I can just imagine the new quilters out there that are trying to teach themselves how to quilt or are using these "expert" videos as backup to classes they've taken. And then taking the wonky borders to a longarm er to quilt it out for them!

My first thought was that she was taking an awful lot for granted when she said the the center size was normally the average of all the sides and then slapped that fabric down and whacked it off without measuring even one side. :o Seems too much like the sew on the borders and then cut off the ends technique. I can just imagine the new quilters out there that are trying to teach themselves how to quilt or are using these "expert" videos as backup to classes they've taken. And then taking the wonky borders to a longarm er to quilt it out for them!

Wow, have never seen that done before. I watched it several times and the thing that I noticed was that her strips weren't pressed. When she went to pin then on you could see the crease from the fold. I think you could get into a whole heap of trouble doing borders that way.

Wow, have never seen that done before. I watched it several times and the thing that I noticed was that her strips weren't pressed. When she went to pin then on you could see the crease from the fold. I think you could get into a whole heap of trouble doing borders that way.

Archived