consistent thread breakage

I am trying to finish up an Americana sampler quilt and somehow I broke a needle off in the machine. I got the broken needle out, checked everything carefully, sanded a nicked place on my extended base, and retimed. I am not sure, but I may have the bobbin race pulled too far forwarded as I can hear a clicking sound now that I did not have before. If the hook is hitting the needle, can that cause your thread to break? It breaks consistently when I change directions. I hear a click and then the bobbin thread breaks. It does not matter if I'm going left to right or up and down, it happens when I change directions. I've tried slowing down in case I was jerking, but it has not made any difference. I am at my wits end. Can someone help me?

Alas, you may need to re-time your machine. Good news--it looks serious but is very straight-forward and the manual will walk you through it. As to your question, yes, the click means the needle is too close to the hook and yes that can snap your thread.

After you have done this once, you will never be afraid to do it again. Call your dealer or Amy if you get stuck.

Patty, Linda is right your machine is not timed right. Watch the maintenance dvd/video that came with your machine about how to retime your machine. Last year my DH retimed my machine (before watching the dvd) and did it wrong, he had the hook pulled forward too much because he didn't do a step that was in the DVD (the step he missed is also in the newer millie instructions (my machine was 2005 so my written instructions in the manuel weren't very detailed). Any ways I was having alot of issues that you stated, then once DH retimed it the proper way all was good. :)

Archived