newbe

I also would like to purchase a longarm but am a little apprehensive about which model, and my ability. I have been machine quilting on my home sewing machine but find the larger quilts quite awkward so I send them out to someone else to machine quilted. I would like to do my own and if I get good at it am thinking about maybe starting my own business several years down the road. I felt better after reading all the comments listed today to know that I am not the only one with doubts. I really would appreciate some feed back on which models you use and what some of "the good/bad things" are about it.

Janet

When I purchased my machine, we decided to get all the bells and whistles so we would not be upgrading later. I love the Milli because the throat space is large and I have room to do a large area at once. Some of the machines do not offer that....it is a feature I appreciate. Of course the stitch regulator was a selling point for me too. Everyone has their favorites. If you are planning to go into business it is good to read the other posts here for what works and what does not. And one of the most important thing is to check in your area to see what the demand is for machine quilters. It seems so many people are discourage after making the purchase that there is not more business. Good luck with your decision.

Mary Beth

I may be a little dense, but how do I find out what the demand for machine quilting is in my area? I have been checking out the APQS machines for 10 years and still can not figure out if I would be able to find enough work to make the investment.

PJ

Hi PJ---

Contact any long armers you can find locally and ask how soon they could quilt a top for you. Check the Yellow pages and call the local fabric shops to locate as many as you can. Do all interviews over the phone and you can get an idea of the level of business locally. If everybody has only a few weeks wait, there may not be enough business for another quilter. But, if everybody is months or more, go for it.

One thing to remember is that some people (like me) have "day jobs" to keep benefits or future pensions going. Because of that, a three month wait for me might be 20 tops while someone else's three month wait might be 45 tops. Gather as much info as you can--you might ask the quilter how many quilts she does in a month. There are some "invisible" quilters out there--the ones who have enough business from their local guild or LQS that they don't advertise or promote their business. Also, if you call the local fabric shops and they have an in-house long arm, you will get no information about any other quilters--even if they are a year out on orders!! Backwards thinking--more quilts done would mean more fabric bought!!

Do the research if only to convince yourself. Local business isn't the only way to go--some of quilters do lots of business with a web site or by advertising in a quilt magazine.

Hope this helps.

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Yes definately do your research before buying a machine if you are planning on going into business. Also realize that realistically it will take a while to build up a customer base and get your name out so if you can buy the machine without taking out a loan that is dependant on a steady customer base go for it other wise you will be stressing over how and where the $ will come from to pay the loan payment in the begining.

When I bought mine I was fortunate to already be a stay at home mom (so no income would be lost for my new venture), and we refinanced our house to start up my business but my DH's pay from his job was still enough to cover the new morgage payment...so I had no stress, and I could just focus on learning the machine and building my customer base. A year later even though I have a steady flow of customers (never without at least 3-4 tops in house at a time) all of the $ I have received from customers I have put back into my business (for new rulers, templates, pantos, threads etc...) and of course I am now able to support my own quilting stash/needs without dipping into the household $. My next goal is to increase my business so that I will be able to save some $ for my kids college, retirement etc..

Joann

I started with a Janome/Grace set up (purchased 2/06), because I wasn't sure how much demand there would be. I just recieved my Millie yesterday and DeLoa Jones was here today and got me going. I have 21 customer quilts to do. I love to do free motion quilting and did not realize that there aren't any around my area that will. I had one customer that was disappointed in me getting the Millie because she had always been told by a machine quilter that there were only 4 designs her machine would do. So she thought I wouldn't be able to free motion anymore. I told her I will and I will be even better, she is very excited about that. Just ask your friends, local quilt quild, but remember to ask specifics, such as free motion or just pantos and how many.

Good luck,

Sheryl

You are smart to go check out the machines at the shows when you can. Be very careful when you do look at machines. Sometimes you get caught up in the moment and lose your mind :D It is kind of like buying a car only you are going to try to make money once you get it. Do your homework before you go. Make sure you know about the demand for quilters in your area. Don't let anyone blow smoke up your dress - so to speak. I am not talking about the machine sales people - but the LQS or people in your guild, your friends, etc. I have read here in these posts where friends and guild members assure someone that they will bring their quilts to them as soon as their machine is set up and 2 years go by and they still have not darkened the door. Don't listen to all the people around you making promises. Do your homework and do what you know to be affordable.

I say all of this because this in not something to take lightly. It is a big investment. Then there are classes to take, (lecture starting from $30 and up; hands on $100 and up - estimate). Supplies, such as thread, rulers, templates, guides, books, panto patterns, etc.

Unless you are gifted, and there are some really great quilters here that I would consider gifted, you are going to need to take the classes. The classes are so very important. If you don't take them it almost feels like you are aimless in your quilting.

Read the posts on this site where people are stuggling to get customers and the recommendations from other quilters.

Like I said, this is not easy. But I don't think any business owner will tell you that opening a new business is easy. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. So if your family expects time with you, and expects you to prepare all their meals, you probably need to get them out of that habit. We order pizza a lot, or grab a sandwich on the way home from work.

I am not telling you all this to make you not want to purchase a machine. I am happy, now, that I bought one, but it has taken me a couple of years to get to this point. I am just starting to get a customer base, and yet, I only have 2 repeat customers. I feel like if I could get 4 or 5 I will be more comfortable.

Just food for thought. Sorry my post is so long.

Mary Beth

I want to thank all of you for sharing such excellant advice about buying a long arm.

I did not do any of the above before I bought mine and now I am in a worry zone because of it. Am I sorry that I took the plunge? absolutely not!! I would still do it all over again, but perhaps I wouldn't be in such a worry zone about getting customers now if I were more prepared for a longer time between buying the machine and getting it paid for. I am fortunate in that I can work extra hours to do that, but my DH expects me to start making money right away and that is probably not going to happen. I now know that I live in an area with a lot of long armers who are very talented and have very loyal clients. So I will need to find my own nitch and my own style and that will take time. But I WILL do that and that process can be exciting if I let it.

Also, I knew I would need to take classes and am looking forward to doing that, but again they are expensive (more than I anticipated) so it means a new budget, new sacrifices, etc.

As Mary Beth said opening a new business is hard work and dedication and I thought I had prepared myself for it, but in all reality, I think my glasses were a little rose colored so to speak. It is nice to see things clearly and to know that on days when I get discouraged or doubting myself, I can turn on my computer and find help and encouragement here.

One of the best parts of my Millie is everyone else who has an APQS and is now part of my extended family. The very best part of my Millie is the fact that APQS are the best machines around and I did do a lot of research on that!!!

Thank you everyone.

The advice you have given me is priceless. I would like to buy the machine and use it as a retirement income. I still have a few years left to work. My health is not the best and I think that I would be better off if I could do this as hobby work. Which means that I need to be able to afford the machine ( pay cash ) before I buy.

I will do the research and see what comes of this new project.

Thanks again.

Pamela PJDavis:cool:

Archived