sporadic top AND bottom loops

tbelle2u

I am fairly newbie to LA quilting. Bought a used Discovery, transported and recently set up. I have used this machine many times at the shop where I bought it. I am having a sporadic problem with loops on the top and bottom simultaneously. I've read the article on tension handshake. Added a piece of batting at the first thread guide over the thread spool. I've tested and tested on the side of my quilt and thought everything was perfect! Jumped into my quilt and stitched a panto for a good six inch repeat - great stitches and then suddendly doing it again!! :( I have cleaned it, oiled it, changed the needle numerous times. This machine has always run well with Bottom Line. I currently have Signature varigated on the top. The gal who sold it to me spent about 2 hours readjusting tension and testing bobbin case tension. No go. Any thoughts, ladies?? I am beyond frustrated with my new venture. Thanks! Tracey

Welcome to the forum Tracey - I'm sorry that you are having loopy problems and I know how frustrating that can be. Have you made sure there is no little pieces of lint in your bobbin case or the assembly? even the tiniest little bit of lint, if in the right place, can cause problems. Blow out your bobbin area really well with canned or compressed air. I don't know what else to suggest, but I hope that you can get your new machine working better for you. But again, welcome to the chat. :)

Welcome, Traecy. A couple more things to check: Is the quilt top too tight? Have you tried a different cone of thread with the same results? Is the needle in the right way? Does the batting have scrim or is it needle punched and is it loaded the right way? Have you tried a different bobbin and bobbin case? Is the table level, both horizontally and vertically? Some of these things may not affect the stitch quality, but they are just some things that come to mind right now. I'm sure others will jump in here with ideas, also.

Thank you for the welcome and your suggestions, ladies!! What an awesome forum. I am stunned at the questions and responses and the knowledge you all share so freely.

Patty Jo - you are my arch angel of the day!! I cleaned the machine prior to starting, changed bobbins, bobbin cases after the problem started. After reading your post I tried it all again. When I blasted the bobin casing with compressed air, a little piece of something flew out - lint, thread - dunno. Cleaned it all out again and sprayed with WD-40 and oiled one more time for good measure. I have now completed two whole rows of my Panto and they are glorious!! Who would have thought? Guess this machine is fussier than I ever would have imagined. Having been through two days of torture, I have one more thing to add to my daily cleaning list :). At least now I can go on to loving what I am finally able to do ~ and in the comfort of my very own studio!

Carmen- I did loosen the tension on the quilt and lowered my bars just a tiny bit for good measure. I'm not at all sure what "scrim" is. I have warm and natural loaded between batiks.

Thank you both for such a hearty and warm welcome! I'm sure I'll be here to chat again. Hopefully, in time, I'll be able to help other newbies launch their next phase of quilting euphoria!

Regards,

Tracey

Also, make sure that your bobbin is inserted correctly. I won't try to describe it here, but check your manual. I'm sure as well that someone mentioned to be sure the needle is correctly inserted with the scarf (indentation) towards the back of the machine.

There is a learning curve with these machines, but with all the wonderful help that you receive here, you'll be cruising along in no time.

Archived