Needle sizes

I saw this info about needle sizes (equivalent to what we knew once) on Diamond Needle Corp site and thought it was interesting:

MR1 60/8

MR2 65/9 - 70/10

MR2.5 75/11 - 80/12

MR 3 85/13 - 90/14

MR3.5 95/15 - 100/16

MR 4 105/17 - 110/18

MR5 120/19 - 130/21

MR6 140/22 - 160/23

MR7 180/24 - 200/25

I have only used MR4's and find they leave holes in some fabrics. If any of you do machine basting for customers, what size needle do you use? The MR7's must be nails!

I use the 3.5 all the time. They are not as large and have more bend but the holes are smaller. I like using them.

I haven't tried any other sizes but 3.5 adn 4.0

I use the smaller size for dense quilting and when I am quilting over HEAVY Fusible.

Just curious why would you want to use a smaller foot? I think the 1/4 inch is perfect for spacing. Also wouldn't the smaller needles have a greater chance for breaking at the speeds we often go and the thickness of the batting, fabrics, and piecing seams we have to go through? I always use the 4's that came with my machine. The "holes" disappear when the quilt is washed or even just used for a little while. jeri

Hi everyone,

We don't recommend going any smaller than the 3.5 needles. Since we are moving the machines around, there is alot of needle flex which can cause many problems. That is why we don't want to go too small as the needle will over flex and give us lots of stitching troubles. The foot can't go much smaller either as we need to maintain a good pinch on the fabric to get a good stitch and yet be able to go over seams and such. Hope this all make sense and answers your questions. :)

Take care,

Mark

Can you tell me if there is anything in the works to make an adaptation for the Millie so you can change the foot to something which allows more visability. I know the prodigy has something that allows for the foot to be changed. Also an embroidery needle is both smaller and stronger than the 3.5 needle we currently use. To use this needle would I have to get the timming adjusted.

Thanks

Raquel

Archived