first customer-what thoughts?

I hadn't planned on taking customer quilts till a year from now when I would hopefully have honed my skills freehand. However, got a call out of the blue- heard I did LA- and wanted me to do 4 quilts. 3 are to be over all pantos and the 4th quilt was to be custom/heirloom type. So I agreed to do the 3 and recommended a fellow LA for the 4th. She was happy for the recommendation.

So that sped up my business plan, prices, business cards.... and am ready to go after I get my own Mystery quilt done for upcoming (soon) guild show and of course I need to get started on the Mini-swap quilt (it is finished in my head only) Luckily for me, the customer didn't have the backings ready yet. Yeh!!!!

Anyway, in order to not be nervous working on someone else's quilts for money--I think I will pretend they are mine and that will be easier on my mind. Or am I fooling my self??? What were your thoughts as you all did your first customer quilts?

Suzie, my first customer quilt made me get better fast. I knew I had to do a really good job so it forced me to pay attention to every detail. I remember thinking (right in the middle of quilting a row) I can't mess this up!!! It took my breath away for just a second. By the time I get it quilted out and was ready for my next quilt, I had grown leaps and bounds at quilting. It will FORCE you to put all your good practices into place and fast. Good look with it! You will do well and you will be proud of yourself. Do just try and relax and be sure to measure as you go to help insure a good square quilt for your customer. Please post pics for us to see once you are done.

The hardest thing for me is to not get carried away as I always like to impress! If you see something that you could add always ask the customer first. If you think it will go well and give them a reasonable price as its already on the machine, you can usually upsell. But basically do just what they want -no more, no less without their permission and do the best you can----ALWAYS! I think you've got the right idea!! ---Dave B.

What Sylvia Said x2

Congrats on your first customer!

Pantos will be a great way to start.

My first was an overall heart echo, and by the time I finished it (Queen size) my confidence rose.

You will do great!

If you are not liking what you have stitched, do not un-stitch until you have slept on it! The next day, you will wonder what you were concerned about.

Good luck, breathe, and march on!

Archived