Help I'm stumped.

I could use some suggestions on this quilt top. Lots of different fabrics.

I thought about about feathering the heart applique and then do background filler.

Could have maybe a feathered heart in the large open spaces between the the hearts and thought about a Hummingbird or a few.

What thread color. Do I change? If I had to use only one color I'm guessing maybe soft sage green.

Help.

Grammie

One ides is to do a wavy line inside the heart. Maybe a feathered flower freehand all in the background.

2.. You could feather around each heart filling the blocK, sid around the heart. Add feather inside the small heart. If you use 2 layers of batting it will give a trapuntoed look, that woud be so pretty.

Keep the borders simple the are busy and you wont see a lot.

Myrna

Not sure of backing yet. My customer just emailed this to me. I'm not taking it unti October 1st. I'm on hold until I move.

The thread color is tough to choose with all these fabrics and some so busy that what I do isn't going to show.

I do plan on using two layers of batting for effect.

I like you idea Myrna.

So is Sage green the choice of thread color? Something fine like Bottom Line or So Fine.

Gosh, that is really busy. I'd be afraid that anything I did would get lost in all those colors and prints. I like Myrna's idea of outlining the large hearts and creating faux trapunto with double batting. What about decreasing size concentric hearts to fill the smaller center hearts. As for the larger background spaces I would probably just do a floral type filler of some kind.

I think sage green thread would be nice, except in the outer borders. I would do the darker color there.

Just my opinions.

Tammie~

I used the heart pattern in a quilt for mini-me as an applique with raveling edges. I meandered around the hearts and used a medium loft batting. The hearts just popped after the quilting that i did.

Anywho, i used a meandering pattern around hearts, inside the hearts and it worked well for what i had wanted.

Manda

I'm a panto Queen Grammie: ;)

So I would find a great heart panto, there are so many out there.

I know you have a great deal of skill in the free-motion department, so go with what you know, & are good at, though it's good to learn somthing new on every quilt top.

Because the top is busy, I would not use a thread that contrasts to much, that will just make it more busy, find a thread that is half way between the darkest & lightest colours. Maybe a varigated green will work.

A newbie's opinion :)

Archived