Batting prices

diane Bevans

Well I have been practicing practicing and then practicing. I have my cards done and working on my brochures, and can't come up with a good price for my batting and 50/50 cloth. Some web sites have suggesting a markup of 125%, but that feels like too much. How much do you any of you charge for the batting and backing, that is all I am going to carry, as I don't want to be a fabric shop.:o

Pricing is a big issue. But do check out in your area what prices are going for. Then negotiate your own price. I don't have a longarm yet but do have my pricing done. As far as the backing. Charge what ever the cost for the fabric plus time going after it. Or, give them the choice of going after it themself. Batting here is a flat price for 50/50 or 80/20. Surely you will get another post or U2U messages. This was the hardest to do for me. Good Luck and welcome. Nita

I charge my cost (including shipping) plus 15%. I try to keep my price just under the local retail price so that clients will not bring their own batting. I use a top quality (Hobbs and Warm & Natural) and it's so much easier coming off a large bale. When I first started clients would come with the cheapest batting they could buy, not realizing what a difference it makes in the finished quality.

Hint: After cutting the batting to the size needed I throw it in the dryer for a few minutes and it takes any wrinkles out.

Hope this helps.

Jean

If you have a relationship with a local quilt shop, you may want to check their prices and not undercut them. My local shop collects the quilts for me and I try to keep my prices the same as she sells her batting for. And if you have Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and they have their half prices sales, the prices are less than what I pay by the time I add shipping.

So, I just set my prices at about the same thing the local quilt shop has and go with it. Hobbs 80/20 regular width is .20/inch. Hobbs 80/20 wide or bleached is .25.

Quilters Dream is .27 I think. Mostly I use the Hobbs 80/20.

Even though most of my work doesn't come from local quilt shops, I don't want to under cut them. I also don't like to stock a ton of different battings, so I only stock the ones that I like for my own quilts and a couple that are very wide, just in case a client can't find them 115-126" in their area.

Bottom line, I charge about what our local shops charge, if you figure by the yard, and I round up all the needed measurements to the nearest 1/2yd so that I don't have to doink around with an exact measurement including the 6-10". I figure if the client want to cut it that close on buying batting, they can send their own, which I fully welcome.

I don't find that I have a problem sewing on any of the battings, although some are really icky feeling in my own opinion, so I encourage clients to bring/send their own batts. Then they get what they want.

Hi all -

The standard markup in the business is 100%, for fabric, thread, batting, whatever. Most of your quilt shops/businesses take that as a markup. 125% is too much.

I charge a little less than that. example, if I buy a batt for $4.50 per yard, I'll charge $8.00/yard, not $9.00/yard.

Hope that helps.

Deb

Archived