Exhibit and pricing

Good news: Our community college is doing an exhibit of my quilts in October.

Bad news: I have to assign values to each quilt.

I have several lap size pieces for the display, some are hand quilted, some longarm quilted.

I have to decide if I can part with any of them, and if so, what to charge. They also need monetary values for insurance purposes. Most of the quilts are class samples, and I use them to teach different techniques in my classes.

I also enjoy displaying them here and there thoroughout my home. They are part of my history!!

Any advice as far as coming up with a value?

If you do an on line search for "certified quilt appraisers" you may find someone close to you that can provide an appraisal that will be honored by an insurance company. Without an appraisal I think insurance companies will compensate for the value of fabric and thread but not time and actual replacement value. I've had only one quilt appraised and the cost was $40. An appraisal would give you valuable information for pricing any quilts that you may choose to sell and also provide information for buyers who generally are amazed at how much a quilt costs.

I make a lot of quilts, many are given to charity, but I don't part with any that I think I want to keep. At some point in time the day does come when I decide I no longer care to keep some I thought I couldn't part with. I'd say keep those that you aren't sure you want to let go because you'll never get them back and you don't want to have regrets.

And your quilts are very pretty!

If you can bear to part with any of them, I would figure $400 per square yard--and for the hand-quilted ones, double that. So your 44" square above would be $600. Seems high if you are buying, but not so much if you are selling! Figure the hours spent piecing, the cost of fabric and batting, plus the quilting and binding, and it seems reasonable to me.

I hope you are only obligated to place a value on your quilts and not sell them if you don't want to.

At one of my guild's quilt shows a prolific quilter offered all of her quilts on display for very inflated prices. One large quilt was priced at $1600 and she was stunned when someone fell in love with it and purchased it! Don't offer them for sale unless you are willing to see them go.

Hi, Karol,

I've had quilts appraised and was shocked to learn that many times a new quilt is worth more than an antique quilt! The appraiser said because the materials cost more to make the quilt, it costs more to replace it.

Your quilts are beautiful. What an honor to have them displayed.

Hi Karol!

Here’s how I value a quilt:

Fabric/backing/batting - actual cost

cutting/piecing/designing - hours x rate (I usually use $20/hr)

Quilting @ $$/per square inch

binding - hours x rate

You could add thread charges, etc. I checked this method/formula with a few national teachers, and they agreed and added that in some cases I could be low...

This is how I do it when I'm making/designing a quilt... often I give a large discount to family and some friends. But for general public sale, I stick to my guns... My time is worth more than $5/hr. So is yours!

Awesome for you to have your quilts displayed!

Archived