Please HELP!!! Leadergrip installation

I am finally getting around to installing the leadergrips, but the flexibility is driving me bonkers!

When you join the dowels with the shrinktube, is there supposed to be flexibility in the joint or is is supposed to be rigid? My hubby of course is not home, I am doing this by myself. I have made a seperate leader with a zipper on one side and the dowel pocket on the other. I am just about ready to throw the whole thing in the garbage.

Any suggestion from those that have theirs installed?

Thanks so much

Hi Monika--I will venture in here until Lynda Newell sees this post and can help. At the last longarm get-together, Lynda demo-ed her set-up and the dowels are not rigid when taped together. There is some flexing at the joint, but when the long clips are snapped on, the dowel will then be straight and un-moving. Rolling the dowel onto the roller with the fabric clipped on (and tension on the backer) will keep everything in order.

I hope this is correct and that it helps. Lynda loves hers.

Thanks Linda, I just got an e-mail from Regina and she said basically the same. I am looking forward to using mine this weekend sometime, as soon as I get the leaders straightened out and leaders made for the leadergrips.....a lot of work if you are by yourself and not much room to work with. But.....I( am woman!~ I can drive truck, paint may nails and read a book at the same time....talk about multi tasking....

I put my Leadergrips on a couple of weeks ago. I just folded over the edges of my leaders and used the 1/4 inch steam a seam to make the casing. Then I pinned the leaders from the front and back roller together and took my longarm to stitch over the steam a seam.

I'm still debating if I like using the system for the top of the quilt. When the leadergrip is on the top of the bar it interferes with the Circle Lord and I couldn't tighten the CL. But guess I could just unroll the quilt top a little more to reposition the leadergrip so it doesn't interfere.

It works great for the backing -- five minutes to put a quilt back on and no stringy leaders from my basting the back to them with my domestic machine.

Hi all,

I was unable to get mine to be rigid. I worried about that at first but soon found that as Linda R. said once the clamps are on, it will be absolutely rigid. One of my joints actually came totally loose but I don't even worry about it now.

I still love this system and have no plans to ever use anything else. Of course, I only quilt for me and when you are quilting for others your control of the size of the backing is minimal. I do have to make sure my backing is long enough to accommodate the dowel in the roll.

I hope this helps.

Archived