Wholecloth question

This may prove to be a silly question but I have to ask. I'm wondering if a wholecloth quilt is supposed to be, well, a whole cloth. Or is it okay to have a seam? No laughing. :D

I will be taking Karen McTavishes class in April, which I'm stinkin' excited about by the way, and just didn't know for sure about seams in a wholecloth.

Jess

No laughing here--I wondered the same and most shows require a wholecloth to have the top and binding all the same fabric--and seams ARE allowed.

So you can use a print for a wholecloth if you like.

Fabric Depot used to carry extra wide cotton sateen in several colors for a great price if you are looking for wide fabric.

Guest Linda S

Cotton Sateen is a wonderful fabric, but you might have to stabilize it. I tried marking a wholecloth on wide sateen and finally gave up! It slipped and slid every which way.

Originally posted by Linda S

Cotton Sateen is a wonderful fabric, but you might have to stabilize it. I tried marking a wholecloth on wide sateen and finally gave up! It slipped and slid every which way.

Try using a very very fine sand paper under your fabric when marking. There will no slipping! Honest!!!

Jess, I took a wholecloth design class from Karen last spring. She limited us to 70x70 in the class. I made mine the max size. I got some beautiful ivory cotton sateen from Wilma at Christian Lane Quilters. Prices are very reasonable and it is yummy fabric!

http://www.christianlanequilters.com/cottonsateen.html

I have yet to quilt my wholecloth, but it will be one of the first things I do when I set my machine back up. I promised Karen I'd enter it in the HMQS show next year. Better get crackin'!

Oh, Jess, go for the larger size. You'll regret it if you don't. I watched the members drawing their designs last year. They were all over the floor. I'm afraid you'll wish you had a bigger piece once you get started. So, bring two pieces in case you change your mind. Karen has stencils, stencils and more stencils. Take advantage of it and go for the big!!!

If you are competing, a "traditional whole cloth" must be yellow or white (some allow red) If there is a category for non-traditional, then you can use prints and other things like hand-dyes and batiks. But yes, seams are allowed.

Turn of the century women used a whole cloth to show status (whole plain fabrics were very pricey) and their ability as a needlework artist. It also characterized them as someone who had "leisure time".

That's why I haven't done one yet. BUT, I also took Karen's class and have one marked and ready to go, lol.

Archived