12 Days of Xmas panel - I'm kinda stumped

Has anyone quilted this Nancy Halverson panel? It might be a couple years old? I've searched Webshots and all my regular quilting boards but can't find many examples to help me out.

The borders are decided (Piano keys in outer border, curly-que's in next and ribbon candy in closest up one), it's the background quilting in the blocks that has me stumped. I don't really want to quilt over the pictures, but what would be good in the ivory background to help them pop?

No picture as I've completely misplaced my camera right now (Grrrr, a whole other annoyance!) But any help would sure be appreciated, and pictures would be wonderful! This is for the LQS owner and whenever I quilt for her I get completely stressed out anyway (you'd think I'd either quit doing it or get over it by now!) THANKS!!

www.thefind.com

Enter fabric Nancy Halvorsen in the search box to find this panel.

Your ideas are perfect!

As for the background of the blocks, her country style art is perfect with just a stipple--small to medium to match the scale of the blocks. Really--any small overall design you like will work--you are going for texture. Nail down the background with matching color thread. Then you can use a neutral thin thread (BL or So Fine) to outline and accent the figures. They need some stitching down as well. If you want, you can use Monolon or other invisible thread to do all the accenting.

If you are so inclined, use a gold thread--either metallic or a gold poly like Rainbows or Bottom Line--to stitch an accent in each block. Do rays coming out of the candlelight, around the pears on the pear tree, the five golden rings,etc. Just a little bit on each block. Stitch it subtly--nothing too harsh or thick.

Can't wait to see it finished!

Unfortunatly, the blocks on this panel are small. Seems any background stitching will have to be almost micro just to fit :(

Linda, I love the idea of a little gold thread. I used gold for the ribbon candy in the burgandy border - so it would tie in nicely with that!

I'm leaning towards a simple curly-que, or just loops as my fill. For now, I took it off the frame, it's holding up the next 2 and I know exactly what I'd doing on them, so at least I can get them going while I ponder this one.

post--13461905028033_thumb.jpg

Archived