Thread Buildup (small nests)

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who uses this forum. I'm just getting started with my millie and it has gotten me through MANY issues. I'm stuck, though. I really want to learn how to do the stops and starts method that uses tiny stitches but am having trouble. I pull up my threads, take a couple of tiny stitches, tug on my thread tails, then hit the go button and move the handles to take small stitches before moving them at normal speed. No matter what I do, I get little knots on the back. What am I doing wrong? Help?

Oh, I forgot. It seems to be ok with Aurofil but not with King Tut and a few other cotton threads thicker than Aurofil that I've tried.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Try using one method or the other. Either bring up the thread and take three stitches very close together with the up/down button, or bring up the thread, engage the SR and do the "wiggle" stitches. Doing both will result in thread build up, especially with the thicker threads like King Tut. You only need the three stitches to secure, so either way works.

Thanks Linda,

Please tell me a little more about the wiggles. When I hit the go button, I was just trying to take about 8 or 10 itsy-bitsy stitches in a row to lock them off (in addition to the 3 initital stitches to take the slack out of the thread tails).

I'm not sure what the wiggle stitches are or how to perform them.

Linda

• 1 year later...

Help! Bunches of thread on the back. I've spent all morning trying to get my top thread not breaking, which I finally did, but now the bobbin and back is a horrible mess. I keep adjusting the tension with no results. I started by loosing both bottom and top tensions. The top looks fine but the bottom..............

Do you have a towa bobbin gauge? This is extremely helpful for setting the bobbin tension.

Are you bringing up the bobbin thread as described by the previous posts? You want to hold onto the thread when you take your first few stitches to secure everything.

Make sure your bobbin is loaded correctly, and take your top thread out and completely rethread the machine.

What kind of thread are you using top and bottom?

Julia

BTW-my tension was perfect, I say was, until I started fiddling w/the Towa. I am getting pretty good at adjusting my tension, then I use the Towa and check the reading. I then write down the thread, tension, and weight in a notebook for reference. I'm still new at this and this forum has been invaluable for great information!

Beth

P.S. My friend and I just started a quilt retreat business. Our 2nd retreat will be located near Edgewood NM on April 26-29th. If you're interested, email me and I will email you a brochure.

Archived