Quilt pictures

Oh boy, that was frustrating!!

Has taken me 3 hours to get the pictures up, and I am still not happy with the size. I think the problem was that the format was not jpeg. I read a post by Dawn saying that the pictures had to be jpeg, so I changed them, and they came up straight away.

So, does anyone have any ideas for quilting them, especially the horse ones!!

Thanks,

Marley

Hide Ho, If you check out our web site, we have 4-H quilts we've done for the yearly raffles to support the county horse project. Maybe some ideas will come. I have usually individualized the pictures, applied sashing/borders to each that will flow with the others and then try the outlining and thread painting technique that I use a lot. The combination of the two will allow you to accent the print without taking over and the highlights really make them pop. Hey , we should call this McHoppering--LOL! Doing the sashing and borders first helps to stabilize the quilt as the painting really likes to distort if you do a lot and this seems to keep that to a minimum.

Jane might be interested in the fabric you show here too. Always looking for the next years project. We have the boys and the girl members gather with the adults to sew the quilts . Believe it or not--they are all pretty proud of the end product! Good Luck! ---grasshopper

Hi Marley,

Our grasshopper, Dave, does fabulous quilting!

Realistic panels are a challenge. Outlining the main figure(s) is the usual advice, and then keeping the stitch density similar throughout the top is preferred. If you are stitching on the large horse, use a neutral thin thread (So Fine, Invisifil, BottomLine, etc.) or invisible thread to outline and then quilt the interior of the figure. What can work is to follow any color-change lines. Quilt along those lines, which usually follow the shadows.

If that is not enough stitching, echo the lines you stitched to fill in the larger areas. Following the curve of muscles can fill in larger areas on the horse if necessary. Stand back and look if you need more stitching--those puffy unquilted areas will show up, but remember those puffy areas give a great 3-D effect to the top.

I don't know if this helps--take a look at Dave's quilting to get lots of good ideas.

You all are too good, these ladies excellent too!

I sometimes do a little shading--like when you do a pencil drawing, wet your finger and smear the graphite to get the shaded effect, just along muscle lines, edges, etc to help stabilize a large print and give it some definition. I use a contrasting or same color thread to each area to define but not take over. A clear/invisible matte finish thread helps on some occasions Hope I explained this o.k.---Dave B.

Archived