Anyone used Poly-Quilter Thread?

This is by Superior. Rather thick thread, what would you use in the bobbin? I tried the same in the bobbin and it's so thick I couldn't get a good tension, then I tried bottom line and it seemed so fine that it wasn't a good match, is there a happy medium somewhere in between?

Sheila

Hi Sheila

I use BLT for just about everything but if it is too fine for your current situation you could try the newest Superiour Thread called Sew Fine. It is the same weight as the machine quilting thread which is 50 wt. In fact I think they are just re-naming it! http://www.superiorthreads.com/products/product.php3?product=So+Fine+!

If this is the Sheila in Hawaii I will gladly deliver you a cone to try! :D

Sherry,

I just looked at the colors of the Sewfine and WOW. But I don't understand something you said - if it is the same weight as the regular thread what would be the advantage of using it in the bobbin instead of what ever you are quilting the top with? I am a 'thread junkie' and just drooling over some of the colors now.

Thanks.

Mary & Sophie

The Sew Fine thread Sherry mentioned is the same as the Machine Quilting Thread. It is 100% poly and is 50 wt.

The Poly Quilter Sheila was asking about is a 19 wt. The Perfect Quilter is cotton and it is 17 wt.

I haven't tried the Perfect Quilter or Poly Quilter with the Millennium but the Perfect Quilter gave me heck on the Ult. I.

The Superior Bottom Line is 60 wt. poly.

When I've used Poly Quilter, I've used Perma Core or Signature Poly/Cotton in the bobbin. It's probably not a problem but I don't think I'd use a 20 wt. or heavier on top with a 60 wt. in the bobbin. I haven't tried using Poly Quilter since Sew Fine was out but I think that should work great with it.

Does all this make sense? There's so much to know about thread and I know so little!:(

I love the Sew Fine, The Bottom Line, and King Tut by Superior but I still use a lot of Signature cotton thread.

Yes it's me. I only bought the Poly Quilter because the colors looked delicious. I quilted one with it and used bottom line in the bobbin and the tension was wonderful, but not sure if it was a good match and don't think I'd do it that way again. Thanks for all the info. And yes I already do have some of the Superior Machine Quilting thread (now called Sew Fine), it's yummy too. But you can deliver anytime Sherry. How about coming out to train me on this circle lord I just got?:cool:

Aloha Sheila!

Good to see your note here! I also use allot of the Coats pre-wound poly bobbins that APQS offers though it just about kills me to pay that much for a full gross! And yes, I DO tell them how much I hate to pay that price, but...they give me no break and I love the conveiniance! Besides...I suppose it puts *someone* through college! :o

Regarding the Circle Lord and training....I really have to laugh as I am just beginning to get the jest of it me-self! The installation is a snap and the Baptist Fans are perfection but I still have some other templates that I need time to play with. Looks like play time could start as soon as November for me! :( Which templates did you get Sheila?

Sure do miss you and Doreen! Wish I was closer, Notice I said I :D

My goodness! I feel like I'm in the dark ages. I need to get new leaders but haven't done it. I may install the Circle Lord but I don't see zippers in my future. Mainly because I know me . . if I have the opportunity to start something and then go on to something else without finishing the first thing, I will do it. Yep . . self-discipline rules at my house!!:(

I love Superior's Poly Quilter and use it on my own quilts as well as Perfect Quilter. For my clients I use Superior's Machine Quilting Thread (polyester) almost exclusively. It sews beautifully and seldom breaks. I use the same thread in the bobbin.

For those of you that are buying prewould bobbins and/or using Bottom Line, do you keep all of the same colors in your top and bottom threads? Or do you use a neutral color on your bobbin? I'd love to hear more about what threads everyone uses. Thanks.

I also use Bottom line in top and bottom and have mix, bottm line in bobbin and Poly quilter by superior in the top, It comes out beautiful. I have gotten some pokies, so switch needles and that has helped. I like superior thread. I haven't tried much else. My machine runs good with this so that is what I have been using. I just did a couple things with monofiliment in the top and bottom line in the bobbin, after adjusting tension a lot and spool sock, I got it to work and I love it.

I'm noticing that polyester and cotton/poly threads seem to be preferred. Is the lint problem the main drawback with cotton? As a hand quilter we make the thread match the quilt, which means using cotton. My machine is on the way and I'd appreciate info and advice on threads to start out with.

Barb

I'm pretty new, too, so for what it's worth here's my two cents.

I love Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin. I've used it as the top thread once and it was fine there too.

I have a good supply of Coats Cotton in the clunky spool. I got it on sale while waiting for my machine. It produces lots of lint. If the color matches I use it....but must remember to frequently dust the needle and bobbin area to de-lint.

I have several spools of Aurifil. This is very nice thread, and it runs beautifully in this machine, but not my last machine. Go figure.

YLI quilting thread that is 100% cotton does well with a little tweak of the tension. Again...linty.

That just about covers my thread inventory...except for the dreadded 2 spools of Superior Rainbow. Such pretty thread, lovely sheen, beautiful colors and a big pain in the.......posterior. I just haven't hit the right combination of thread path and tension.

I am thinking about getting some of the SewFine in a few neutral colors as I use up the Coats.

Cheryl

I just LOVE King Tut cotton threads from Superior. So far it is all I run. I use Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin or the Coates and Clark pre-wound bobbins from APQS. I have had no luck with YLI - no matter what I do the thread breaks. I even had DH talk to Mark to try to figure out the tension thing - I just gave up and went back to King Tut. FYI - my machine is a Millennium.

Barb,

The reason I tend to not suggest cotton thread to new Longarmers, and push the 100% poly.

Normally as a new LA'er the cotton breaks alot , most newbies take a while to become smooth with their movement and cotton has a great tendency to break alot ,at a time when you should be focused on getting aquainted with your new machine and not wanting to throw it out the window because of thread breakage.

I'm not advocating that one ignore learning tension right off the bat...I'm just saying its nice to have a grace period to get a feel for your machine movement first.(JMHO)

Jamie

Guest Linda S

Wow gals! I sewed those dang zippers on before I even put on my first test piece! :o Guess we can see who the real lazy gal is here -- there was no way I was gonna end up doing all that pinning, even one time! ;) I too love the King Tut thread. I think Bob has the solid colors available as sample SPOOLS only this month and you can only buy one of each color till his supplies run out. The cones should be coming soon.

Well, I need to get my lazy behind off this computer and back up to the quilt studio! TTFN!

Linda

Archived