Silk Thread and Needle Size questions

cbear

Has anyone tried Superior's Silk Thread in the George machine, and if so how did it perform? Also, on their guide sheet they recommend using a 3.0 needle with the silk thread, but on an earlier post someone mentioned that these machines were not timed for a needle that size. I don't remember reading about limits on needle size. Is this the case, and if so what is the size range that will work on the George machine?

Thanks.

Hi Cindy:

I am just finishing a large quilt...I quilted the whole thing on George with silk thread from YLI and Superior. Even though they are both supposed to be 100 weight, the Superior silk definitely shows more than the YLI. Both of them sewed very well with very little adjustment. I use a Schmetz size 12 needle...I believe that corresponds to SMALLER than a 3.0 (which I believe would be a size 14 needle) and I did not have to re-time the machine as I feared. In fact, I know at least two other George owners who use this size needle when sewing with the fine silk thread.

In the past 4 years, I have used a variety of needle sizes with my George...it came with 4.0 needles (size 18) but I have used everything from size 20 to size 12 depending on the thread weight. I've had to adjust the top and bobbin tension quite a bit but have had no timing issues. I just love this machine!

Hope this info helps you, Nancy in Tucson

Thanks so much, Nancy! I've been very curious about the question of needles, so I am glad to hear about your experience with them. You mention using Schmetz needles. Do you mean the ones we buy for our domestic machines? I had no idea that they would work in the George!

Hi again, Cindy:

Nope...the Schmetz needles that I am using are NOT the same as what we use on our domestic machines. George requires an industrial needle (recognizable because there is no flat side on the top of the needle) and there are several numbers that you'll need to order the correct ones. I order from a sewing machine dealer in Phoenix called Ed Raichert...they have Schmetz needles for APQS machines...I'll send you an email with more detailed information, OK? Nancy in Tucson

Archived