HELP, HELP, please . . .

Hi ladies, Before I say HELP! ! ! ! First let me say hello and give you a bit of info about me. I'm a newbie with a millie. I've had the machine for awhile but I'm just getting busy these past few months. I check out this site all the time and yes, you girls are good and I've learned a lot from you all. THANKS! Now back to the HELP. I'm at a lost as to how to quilt a quilt top that I received last week and have hung up on my design wall so that I can keep a steady look hoping I can come up with some quilting ideas. The center is a madallion. peackock and flowers, which looks like they were stamped on. So I've decided that I would trapunto the center which. The top has a center medallion, which is a peacock and flowers, surrounded with a row of couched on purple sequence. Then there's 13 rows of various color (black, white, blue, pinks, purple to name a few) strips, round and round the medallion, with a solid white backing??? It sounds ugly, but the top is very beautiful and all hand pieced. The owner of the quilt top (states that she has about 11 more tops to go) was part of my first piecing class over ten years ago, and because of that I know that this is why she is going to give me all her tops and I know that she must (and myself) be absolutely satisfied with the outcome of her first quilt top.

Any and all ideas or comments are most appreciated. :o I'm so totally nervous in Brooklyn.

Marilynn

Marilynn Hi:)

It would be great if we had a photo, if you have any prob's posting a pic, please use the "search" part of this forum. AT the top of the page you will find the word search, click on it, then type in a few words that best discribe the info you want to get at, in this case "posting pictures" or maybe "posting photo's", click on search again, you will get every post with those words in it, keep clicking on differant posts untill you find the info you need.

There is a wealth of info allready in this forum, & the Diva's are more than willing to help you get the best result from your quilting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marilynn---

The first thing to do is to lay that top on a large table or the floor and check for distortion (before you load it) That many borders--did I count 14?--can mean problems with waves at the edges and tents inside the piecing. Measure each border seam at one end and then at the other. Make notes of any discrepancy in measurements.

A little prep and inspection can save time and your sanity after loading. You might have the piecer help you with the inspection so any trouble you run into can be documented before quilting.

There are ways to arm-wrestle a wavy top into submission--usually involving a nice curvey overall design. Stabilize each border seam to the correct measurement if possible.

Good luck and go for it!!

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa

Thanks Divas! I'm almost finished with another loaded quilt and if I stay on my planned schedule, hopefully during nap time I will be able to loaded this top. My daughter gave birth to another grandson last night, so I'm home with the four older grands 2yrs - 12yrs. Yes, it's been a long time and things have changed. Right now the battery operated Cookie Monster tooth brush is acting up and the 3yr old is tapping me on the arm. Yesterday it took me .15 mins. to get that darn thing on, never saw one before then! ! ! It was a challenge! Now all I hear is that new hit song: Grandma, Grandma, Grandma. See you Divas.

Marilynn

Archived