quilting multiple borders

I'm working on my 2nd customer quilt and have a couple questions for all you experienced people. This quilt has 5 various size borders. Once I have the entire center of the quilt completed and it is rolled to the bottom, do I begin with the most inner border, quilting across the bottom and up both sides as far as I can, then roll the quilt back, quilt, reverse back, etc., until I reach the top? Then move on to the 2nd border continuing the opposite sequence back and forth for each individual border? I'm so anxious to hear what you all would do. Thanks.

Donna, APQS Millennium

Hi Donna,

I don't know if this will help you or not, and there are many more on this list with more experience than me, but here goes... I will stabilize each border (usually SID) as I stabilize the rest of the top. Then it depends on the pattern going in each border. Quick and easy freehand (stipple, swirls, etc) I will work all the borders on both sides, then advance the quilt. Something that is difficult to start and stop or has direction (feathers) I will work across the top (or bottom) up one side (leaving the needle down to advance the quilt) across the bottom and back up the other side. Finally, anything that needs spacing (stencils, crosshatch) or is really a pain to do in pieces, I will turn the quilt. I learned the last one the hard way. A simple border, but I didn't want to re-load the top, took me WAY more time to do in pieces.

Probably made it clear as mud for you.

Leslie

What I do is quilt the center part of the quilt.

Then I work on the borders that go horizonatly. If they were all to use the same thread color I would begin at the top and then do the bottom. If the thread color was different I would do top then bottom, change thread and do top and bottom again etc.

Once the top and bottom are done I remove the quilt from the frame and trim the sides and reload it sideways.

This is what I do for continous designs like feathers and such. If the design were not continuous I would not turn the quilt. For me it is easier to do a consistant desin by going sideways than firs side to side and then up and down. I am very careful to tie under my thread ends and will begin my new thread in exaclty the same spot as the the other ended if the line of thread continues around.

I am with Lesile...I stablize as I quilt and work each section as it rolls up. Sometimes I will save the vertical borders for last because I turn the quilt. But If the border is simple enough and there are no thread changes I quilt as I go.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Archived