Need advice

Hi everyone! I could use some advice. My MIL's sister made a quilt some 30 years ago that she hand quilted. Well, she's gotten it into her head that she wants me to add to the quilting with my Liberty! I haven't seen the quilt yet, I am going to see it when we go up to the lake this weekend. I am a little nervous about adding to her quilt. First of all, I have no intention of taking out her hand quilting, can you load a quilt that's all in one piece, I haven't even tried. Second, would I be able to quilt anything without getting puckers? She doesn't remember putting batting in it either. I don't want to ruin her quilt, but she's determined I am going to work on it. What would you do?

Barb:)

In reality you MIGHT be able to get it onto your frame, but being this old I would be really scared to put any stress on it like Colleen said, I would just tell her it would take away from the beauty of the quilt if you add machine quilting to it....I too would be nervous adding machine quilting to something that was meant to have only hand quilting. one of the reasons I really try no to quilt antique quilts by machine.

Hi Barb!

I'm going to answer this question differently than the other answers, for what it's worth! I've quilted lots of "antique" quilts. Some much older than 30 years old, and some that had been hand quilted already. If the quilting is good and there is enough of it, you might be able to get away with machine quilting it. You'll have to take a good look at it to see if it's "solid." A lot of older quilts were made pretty well and machine quilting them adds life to them. It depends on what this quilt looks like. Maybe just adding a little something here or there is all that is needed.

I know that people seem to be so afraid to work on old quilts--but if the owner wants you to work on them, why not? A 30 year old quilt isn't really an antique. If she uses it, washes it, etc. she might just want it to be heartier. Go for it!

Jill Kerekes

I have a double wedding ring that is hand quilted just on the lines, nothing in the centers. I want to do some machine quilting in the centers and the pieces in between the ring parts. I saw a design in Fons and Porters Love of Quilting magazine and would like to try it. The quilt is one I put together years ago with pieces bought at an auction that look like 1930's. I have washed the quilt and it still looks strong enough. I will put strips of muslin all around it before I attach it to the frame. It was hand quilted on a frame and seems smooth enough so I should not get any puckers. Any other advice would be appreciated. Right now there is a quilt on the frame that I did some embroidery on and I have to do some free form designs around them. Never tried that but there is always a first time for everything.

Archived