problem with hopping foot~Barb M?

Last summer Barb M. was here to teach machine maintenance. I was fortunate to have her do the maintenance on my machine. I showed her how my hopping foot was not going straight up and down while in motion. She got on the phone to Iowa for assistance. She adjusted the rocker arm in some way to fix it. Now it's doing it again and even though I "helped" I don't remember how to do it.

Barb, can you help me with this or someone else?

I also need to adjust the #8 screw because the needle up/down is getting wacky again. I'm pretty sure I can handle that one though. :)

Thanks!

Hey, Bonnie! Sorry to hear your hopping foot isn't dancing properly. You will need to remove the side plate on your head. Now, if you run the machine in manual mode, you will see that the two ends of the rocker arm (at the back of that cavity) aren't coming up to the same level - one will rise higher than the other, but they should run level. You will have to loosen the allen screw in the collar that is attached to one end of the rocker arm, apply pressure to the side of the arm that runs too high (this compresses the spring on the shaft), re-tighten the collar, then test to see if you have it level.

Call me if this is clear as mud.....

Bonnie, I will be home all afternoon and most of the day tomorrow, so call if you need me. And, no, I don't have any idea why this happens - before I called APQS from your place, I didn't even know about the "dancing hopping foot.":P

Archived