Ladies, get yourselves checked.

It's breast cancer awareness month, and I am going to get on my soap box for a moment. I hope no one minds too much. I am 39 years now, but when I was 36, my dr recommended a baseline mammogram. I was putting it off until my mom called and said she had found a lump (mom hope you don't mind sharing a little), we are both fine now! Anyway, it encouraged me to have my baseline. Thank goodness I did. We discovered after a needle biopsy that I had what they call DCIS, ductal carcinoma in situ. Basically little pre cancer cells in the milk ducts. Apparently there were a lot of those little suckers in there, and I decided to have a mastectomy. They can do amazing things with reconstruction these days, no one can tell. Anyway, I really get scared when I think what might have happened if I hadn't had that mammogram. Who knows what those little cells might have done, while I sat in in total oblivion. My message today ladies. IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO YET, GET A MAMMOGRAM!

Thanks so much for letting me preach! Early detection is the best! And thanks to my mom, who is bascially the reason I got checked!

Barb:)

Thank you for the reminder! I bought a little snow globe with a teddy bear and pink hearts for my daughters, mother and my co-workers to help them to remind themselves to check each month and to have their mammograms done. When I gave it to them I told each and everyone to put it some place where they would see it and let it be a reminder. Then I told them that I cared about them. I got big hugs from each. I try to get them some little something every year from breast cancer awareness. My hats off to you for reminding us. And yes men get it also!

Guest Linda S

Yes - this is VERY important. I've had three lumpectomies -- thank goodness they have all been benign. It does seem to be a hassle and sometimes it's uncomfortable, but it can save your life.

Linda

Thanx for the reminder and what a great idea, Princesstuck!

And it can happen to anyone at any age. My sister had to have a breast removed when she was 18. They reconstructed it and put in a silicone implant to try to make her look ok. By the way, don't get the silicone if you have to get an implant for reconstruction. I believe they have other options now. She got a leak in the bag so it slowly leaked the silicone into her body, poisoning her. She almost died from the side effects of it (very bad asthma, a condition similar to multiple sclorosis (sp?), certain pathways in her thought processes messed up, etc.) I've heard of salt-water type now.

Archived