bed lifts raise tables, too

kathy

I just closed my consulting business so I moved my sewing stuff from the dank, yucky basement to the small (very small) bedroom that used to be my office. We had a couple kitchen tables that I wanted to use for a cutting table and ironing table, but the height gave me a backache. (Of course, I find that a lot of things give me an ache somewhere or other these days. :( ) Anyway, I found that a set of bed risers were a wonderful and cheap solution. Now both tables are the perfect height for working while standing.

Now, if I could only add a few square feet to the room. With the desk holding my sewing machine and computer and these two small tables, I can stand in the center of the room and touch everything. Reminds me of the 60's when they introduced those horrible "step-saver kitchens." They designed houses where they stole all the square footage from the kitchen and tried to convince you it was an improvement!

Today was the first day of my new job. Hopefully, I'll make enough money in a couple of years to built a room over the garage and buy a long arm. :o

Ah! Sounds like a fine plan and one that can use some careful planning. Me? I just rush headlong into things without too much thought. Fortunately, everything worked out really well and I ended up with a wonderful quilting studio only a week after my longarm arrived! ;) It is now my sanctuary. The world is at peace when I am there.

Linda

My sewing room sounds like yours. great windows, but at 10x10 it was a bit tight. 2 bookshelves, a short drawer unit with fax/phone, a file cabinet, cutting table, etc.

I bought a Sauder Craft Cabinet (under $400) delived and assembled. It is 5 ft. high and about 30 inches or so wide. Two doors that open and "voila". My sewing machine, my serger and lots of other Stuff. It was the best investment I made! It will be moving to my studio next week, once everything else is finished (the basement!). I'll post photos later.

Cynthia:D

Hi Kathy

I know what you mean. All my sewing stuff was in my bedroom, all though it is a fairly size room, it got crowded in it. I had to do something so thank god I did have a unfinished basement. I finished at least that room and still working on others but at least have sewing room done. Its about 15x20. I do have a hinterberg 12' stand in there and tables and sewing table and chair and 2 stools and 2 shelves and a card table full of material to put up. Now I wish I had the other room done. When $ get better I "WILL" get my longarm, even if it takes my longer then I want to. But in the mean time cranking up projects to get ready for my business. When I am working its hard to do anything so doing before I go to work. Good luck on your room or add-on. Nita

I can't really complain about my space...just the location. I am in the basement...not a walk out basement either...one very dismally small window with a view of the bottom of a bush...not very scenic at all. However, it is roomy, and cool all year, and unlike a lot of basements not smelly. In fact it still smells like new construction....one of my favorite smells.

My sewing area is on the left, and Annabelle Liberty is on the right, about 15 steps away. Some day I hope to gut the whole area and start over, but that won't be for a good long time. Right now I need to "steal" just a few more feet on the LA side for a table to square up and cut batting.

I agree with Linda...it is my sanctuary...home of peace ( or piece) and quiet.....a retreat from all the other stuff in life.

Cheryl

Not having basements in CA, my DH finished the 3rd bay of our garage into a beautiful room for my longarm, Bella Baby. Windows, carpet, TV, A/C, heating, the whole works. I even added a comfy chair w/ottoman and a refrigerator. If it had a bathroom I think I could live there for days. He also remodeled a beautiful sewing room for me in one of the bedrooms. It has built-in cabinets and sewing machine work area and he recently added another desk for my computer and a cutting table. Tomorrow is his birthday and I think he deserves something very special. Isn't it great to be spoiled . . . and so very blessed.

I just wish I had a bathroom in my studio! All those trips up and down the stairs are killing me. :P I guess it's good exercise though. Forgot to say, on the original topic, that I bought some table leg extensions from the Quilter's Husband. I have just basic foldable banquet tables to use for my cutting, etc., in my studio. These extensions are made from PVC pipe with rubber ends so they won't marr the floor, and they have pipe insulation inside so they snuggly hold onto the table legs. Not only did they elevate the tables to the right height for cutting, I can now slide my wire basket carts under the tables, making for lots more space!

Linda

Hello to all. I've been reading this site for months now but have never been brave enough to post a note. I like many of you would love more space, but will have to make do for now. I just got my machine back from repair & I'm so excited. I have had my machine for 10 yrs. but ever really had time due to a full-time work career to use it. Now, I've retired & moved so will finally get the time to enjoy her. I'm hoping to get good enough to take on a few customers. Guess I didn't do to bad for a first time. I'm sure now I'll be hooked. Have a good day to all.

I'm glad you will have more time for your machine now. I'm still working full time at a University, but I spend most of my off time practicing on my Liberty or piecing quilts. I think I have a customer for when I get back from Innovations! :o A little scary, but I think I'm ready. At least I hope I am! Post more often so we get to know you. Don't be shy -- as you can tell, I'm not! ;)

Linda

Archived