More tension questions

I managed to finish my quilt but the bottom thread came to the top only on corners. Not on all corners, just some. Seemed like they were the sharper points or maybe a certain direction. Couldn't figure it out.

Since I got my machine back from the spa I'm having trouble getting it up and running right, especially the tension. I notice there was a smaller needle on it now. Would that make a difference? I usually sew with a 4.

Help. I want my stitching to look "perfect" and I'm a little frustrated.

Jan: I've found that most recommendations for tension are not tight enough to give you a nice looking lock stitch. I understand why people use so little tension, but if you are looking for nice stitches, loose tension doesn't give it to you.

I recently decided that I didn't like the looks of the stitches my machine was making. There would be uneven stitches, mostly in corners and sharp turns, while the straight stitches would look OK. I began by tightening the bobbin tension so that I could just lift the bobbin off my hand by the bobbin thread. (about 250 on my TOWA - on the 2 digit models that would be 25) Then I began tightening the cone thread, and stitching on a practice piece. I couldn't believe how much I had to tighten it before I got a nice even lock stitch. I put a quilt on the machine and quilted it. No problems with thread breakage, and nice looking stitches even out of the corners.

Now I do have to say I use YLI Longarm Professional on the top and Bottom Line on the back. These are both strong threads, so I can't say you'd have as little problems with other combinations. But more tension improved my stitch quality. Jim

Archived