Cindy's Circles Ruler and other ruler talk

I have a question about using the Cindy's Circles Ruler. I bought it this spring. It has an opening on the side of each of the circles within the ruler, to get the needle bar thru to quilt. In order not to get a bump in the circle when quilting, I have to shift the circle ruler when the circle is halfway quilted to avoid the opening. Does anyone else have this ruler and how to do you do it? This is a Cindy Roth ruler -- I tried the website's live chat, but it isn't working. Thanks!

P.S. I don't like having to shift the ruler, because it defeats the purpose of making a perfect circle.

I also bought a couple of other rulers this spring, so thought I'd share my initial trials with them. 'Carol's Multi-Purpose Ruler' was recommended by Kimmy Bruner. I like it because it is the first ruler I have found that has 1/8" markings across the entire ruler, instead of just the edges. It is about 3x10 (?) and clear, with diagonal markings as well.

The other ruler I just tried is Dawn Cavanaugh's Cross Hatch Ruler. I like the markings as well, but also the weight helps make the ruler stay put instead of shifting like some of my smaller straight rulers. On the subject of cross-hatch, I am a newbie to this technique and found that doing all lines parallel to each other across the block first, then quilting all lines going the other direction was far quicker than angling back and forth, as most directions tell you to do. I had previously SID the applique block, so had no trouble with the batting building up as I went.

I would enjoy hearing about other quilters ruler experiences, if you want to share.

Joan, I just spent some time looking for a video I saw just recently that showed Cindy Roth using those circle rulers. At least that who I think I remember.

You did half a circle going around half a circle, than moved the ruler to a new location and finished the circle going on the inside of the other half of the ruler.

Does that sound like the ruler you have. I'll keep racking my brain until I recall where I saw it.

I just googled it and found the following tutorial on Cindy's website (duhhh):

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/Bookstore%20pages/circle_tutorial.htm#CINDYS

I bought the template from her at MQS. Anyway, in the video, when she showed quilting the small circles, her foot (Gammill) did not appear to catch on the cutouts like mine did (APQS Millie). I wonder if their foot is designed differently. At the end of the tutorial, she quilted around the template's larger outer circle and then pointed out the divits in the quilting where they hit the cutouts. She downplayed this, saying they won't be noticed and will disappear after the quilt is used...

Archived