Channel Lock problem

Guest Linda S

On the Liberty, we have the horizontal channel lock that is activated by turning that brass knob on the right side of the machine. It has a screw with a little stopper at the bottom of it. For some time, my little stopper has been kind of wiggly, and yesterday it fell off. I cleaned it with compressed air and some WD-40, tried to get it back on there, but it won't go. Is it supposed to be threaded inside? My old eyes can't see in there too well, but it doesn't look as though it is threaded to go back up onto the screw.

Please let me know what to do.

Thanks!

Linda

Hi Linda, I have had my Liberty for just over a month...the same thing happened with my channel lock and I just unscrewed the whole thing and pushed the little end piece back on! It is still wiggly so I think maybe it is supposed to be that way??? I am afraid it may eventually fall off into the carpet below and I may never see it again!!!! Other than that, my machine has been awesome! Jules:)

No wonder I couldn't get it to go on. I'll try turning it the other way when I get home tonight! ;) I put it in a very safe place so I wouldn't lose it. In the meanwhile, I've gotten pretty good at sewing a straight horizontal line without it. Can't wait to be lazy again! :P

Linda

When I push the red channel lock button and hear the click, am I right to expect the machine to go sideways? Mine goes vertical - like I would expect to go with the yellow button. When I push the yellow button, I hear the click but the machine goes as if in free motion. It does this in SR or manual mode.

Whats up? Any help would be appreciated

Barb

Hi Connie

Now that I understand the channel lock direction, I went back and read the manual again and there it was, in black and white.:o But, the yellow channel lock button still does not seem to be working correctly. I hear the click but the machine still moves in any direction and the needle uptake seems sluggish. Just went up to check it out again and now it won't run in manual at all with or without the channel lock. It runs in SR mode though.

Hope this is just another newbie silly problem

Barb

My channel lock does the same thing -- almost nothing most of the time.

If I stand behind the machine and watch, when I click the yellow button, the little "stop" thing is barely going into the teeth. Every now and then (about 1 time out of 10), it will get in between the teeth and actually lock my machine as it is supposed to do.

I'm thinking there's a little screw under there and the channel locking mechanism needs to be moved forward so it gets a better "bite" into those teeth.

Look at it and click it and watch. I'm betting the little thing that goes between the teeth isn't going far enough in to actual cause resistance and therefore, isn't really doing any good.

Hi Barb and Judy,

A couple of things to check. First, see that little spring on your cylinder? Find the end of it and bend it up, so that it does not get sucked into the cylinder when you engage the lock! Then, if you tighten the back right wheel on the machine. (narrow part at 5-6p.m. it should hold tighter. sometimes if the wheels are to loose the channel lock won't hold very well! There is a little set screw you can tighten a VERY little, but that is probably not the majority of the problem..

Good Luck, Let me know Mon. A.M. if you can't get it!!!

Have a good one

Connie

Archived