Advice on Faith's Wedding Quilt....

A dear friend requested a quilt for her wedding. She would like to display parts of it at her reception and have blocks or future fabric pieces available for guests to sign...guest book style.

I'm new at this and wanted to throw the idea out there to you professionals. I'd like the signature to last without damaging the rest of the quilt...any ideas or marking utensil suggestions?

If you opt for fabric pieces, back them with freezer paper so they can be easily written upon.

Use a blue water-soluble pen to mark a half-inch around the perimeter of the piece so no writing is in the potential seam allowance.

Identi-pens work well for sigs as well as Pigma pens. Identis need no heat setting, but Pigmas will hold up better with a heat-set.

Another option is to have all well-wishes and signatures written on a one-yard-square piece of nice solid-type fabric--again, backed with freezer paper and the edges marked. Any light color will work. Have all guests write on this one piece and then make the quilt backer with this piece in the center. Then the quilt can be used for many things and the happy sentiments are readable on the back. If you can get the quilt top assembled before the reception, it can be displayed behind the signing table.

The only problem you may have are mis-spellings and hard-to-read handwriting, but those will be part of the charm of the piece.

Have fun and post pics when it is finished.

I made a wedding quilt for friends as a surprise and presented it to them at the wedding. I was able to get hold of the guest list and I wrote to everyone ahead of time enclosing a 3 x 5 index card & a stamped SASE. I photocopied all of the cards when they were returned and used a light box to transfer their messages & signatures onto the appropriate places on the quilt blocks. It was doubly useful to be able to photocopy as some of the notes were written in such tiny writing that it would never have held up but I was able to enlarge it before I transferred the message onto the finished block and ensure it was readable.

If you use Linda's idea of a larger plain piece of fabric with freezer paper on the back, or smaller pieces of fabric, tape the edges with purple painters tape (least tacky and easiest to remove without shredding the fabric edges) to deter people from writing off the edge of the fabric. If you do use Linda's suggestion you could still use my method and later transfer these messages onto the blocks by photocopying.

As it happened, my friends also had the idea of collecting signatures and messages from all of their wedding guests and had had a picture framed with an extra wide matte for people to sign, so we had the same idea! They had their picture on an easel with appropriate pens to hand. You could do the same thing with fabric or even a large sheet of paper on a easel but don't forget the purple painters tape to keep the edges (Seam allowance) protected.

Don't forget to share the results with us.

Archived