How do I publish a pantograph?

sewingupastorm

I recently quilted a very large log cabin quilt for a friend. She wanted a pantograph design and after looking thru many pantograph designs online I just could not find what I was looking for. Then the lightbulb went off. I do a freehand design that I have done on half a dozen qiults (even before I got my longarm) and decided that it was just right for her quilt. I decided to see if I could make it into a pantograph so I stared with pencil and paper and played with it, revised it and played again. After a few trial and errors I had a nice repeat. I showed it to a few friends and they loved the design. Then I copied it on my copier and taped it together into a roll and quilted a charity quilt. There were a few places that had a gap and one spot with a slight overlap so I fixed those and quilted my friends quilt. She loved it!

So the question is...............................I would like to try to publish and sell my pantograph design. Does anyone know how I can go about this? If I can publish this one and sell it then I think I would like to design some more. I have some ideas in my head that I would like to try.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi Sewingupastorm:)

I met Danetta Burnett last Sept. at the Innovations convention, Her class was about designing Pantographs, anyway how about e-mailing her & asking how she got her stuff published, I wish I could tell you what she told me but I would just get it wrong. I found her web site by just Googleing her name, her e-mail address is quilt-crazy@quilt-crazy.com

Sue Patten also has panto's for sale, she may be able to help, you can get her through APQS or this chat/forum.

Have a look at the panto's you already have there maybe some info on printers, or distributors and such.

I would also like to develope my own pantographs in the furture, so let me know how you make out,

Best of luck :)

Hi, you have asked this question on the CompuQuilter forum so I was wondering if you wanted to know how you could produce a computerized version of your design. I can help you with this. You can learn to do it yourself or I can refer you to a number of networking sources I have for producing computerized designs for sale. Even if what you are asking here is how to publish paper pantographs of your design for sale, it would be an additional income stream for you to have the design available for computerized systems. I truly believe that there are many talented quilters out there who have "doodled" original designs on quilts and these designs can be translated to marketable designs that other quilters would love to purchase for their customer's quilts. Even if you do not currently own CompuQuilter, there are ways for you to digitize computerized designs or just purchase professionally digitized designs that you can size and print to a paper version with AutoSketch. I teach this in the Digitizing for CompuQuilter Workshop. If you call me or email me with your phone number I will be happy to spend time to talk to you about your options. There is an explosion of designs going on and it will never end . . . just like quilters will never stop collecting fabric!! CompuQuilter's features open a floodgate of design concepts and creative ways of quilting quilts that we've never seen before. Our community needs and wants talented quilters like you to continue to produce new designs. I wish you all the best.

Suzanne Moreno

Digitizing For CompuQuilter Workshop Instructor

Grants Pass, Oregon 541.660.8053

Thank you all for the great ideas. Actually I posted in the compuQuilter by acccident but yes it would be great to be able to sell my work in that way as well. I will have to start doing some research and see if I can get the first one published and then if I can I will start working on more. I always love to come up with new ways to meander and do allover designs on quilts and doing this as pantographs is a great way to get the designs out there.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a hold of us. We publish & make patterns available for download from our website, by working with a group of designers. If you are interested just let me know. We don't put all designs up on our website for download, but we would publish for you, especially if you are thinking about distibuting the pattern yourself. In addition to publishing for print, we also publish CD's.

Archived