Suggestions for cross hatch rulers

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, thanks for the info. Raised the leveler bar and they work fine!! Now I'm wondering...do you sew across to the next line or just carry the thread and clip it later? Also on the lower left to upper right diagonal, do you sew on the right side of the rulergoing left to right on the quilt or the inside coming back right to left?

Hi Deann,

If you are crosshatching a block, I suggest you SID along the seam to the next spot to stitch back. Otherwise you will need to do lots of locking stitches and drag the thread. Those threads will need to be clipped and sometimes they will catch underneath and snag. If you are CH'ing a border, travel off the top on the batting to get to the next spot and SID at the border seam.

As for the direction question, see which way it works for you. Whatever you decide, start at the same spot and go in the same direction as you do the opposite stitching. That way there is no bunching of fabric.

I usually travel from left to right. The rulers are in position on the left side of the hopping foot and as you stitch one line it is easier to push the ruler towards the machine (to the right) and hit your next mark. I mark at the border seam and also the outside edge, so I stitch to the next mark, do the "right command/start button" thing with the needle down (this keeps the SR engaged, but stops the stitching), and then slide the ruler up against the hopping foot. Then another "command/start" and I stitch the next line. I guess because I use my left hand to scoot the ruler along and it's easier to push to the right than pull to the left. Did that make sense?

I hope you get lots of use out of the rulers--thanks again.

Archived