Needle

happymountainmom

Is anyone else experiencing the needle not coming up out of the material fast enough when you hit run and it does the one stitch so that you can bring your bobbin thread to top and when it goes to move side ways before stitching it is not coming all the way out of the fabric......not sure that this makes sense, would appreciate help. I'm trying to finish a quilt and this is frustrating.:o

Hi ladies

Because you have CQ attached to your machine, I wouldn't make this adjustment without talking to APQS.

Have you tried running your machine without CQ to see if you still have the same problem. If you do then adjust the no 8 pod , if not call APQS to make an adjustment on the set up page.

Sue in Australia

Originally posted by SueInAustralia

Hi ladies

Because you have CQ attached to your machine, I wouldn't make this adjustment without talking to APQS.

Have you tried running your machine without CQ to see if you still have the same problem. If you do then adjust the no 8 pod , if not call APQS to make an adjustment on the set up page.

Sue in Australia

Sue I had this problem several times - once when Jim was here fixing another problem with my Millie, he felt the needle was too slow (I thought it was fine but I was so new to quilting I really didn't have a clue;)). He sped the needle up using the #8 pod. Several days later, after Jim was long gone from Arizona, the needle started speeding up and continuing running after I had told the system to stop. I contacted APQS and they sent me directions how to change the #8 pod. I did this and have not had a problem since.

If you have to change something on the setup page for the CompuQuilter, wouldn't that only effect the needle while running the CQ and not other times?

Hi Sue

My reasoning in looking to the CQ to resolve the problem was that the original message said:

"the needle not coming up out of the material fast enough when you hit run and it does the one stitch so that you can bring your bobbin thread to top and when it goes to move side ways before stitching it is not coming all the way out of the fabric"

the important words there were "fast enough" and " "not coming all the way out of the fabric."

Imagine the needle positioner is set at a certain speed. On a machine with CQ you hit Run and a message goes from the computer to the x and y axis motors saying its time for the motors to move the machine head, if the dwell time (delay) is too short the motor will move the head before the needle has had a chance to come to its fully up position.

So the problem can be looked at in two ways: either the needle is too slow or the dwell time (of the motor) is too short moving the head before the needle is up properly.

If you really warm your machine up and then without CQ turned on you check the speed of your needle positioner and find it is neither too slow nor too fast, then run it with CQ and the problem persists I would think its with the dwell time and this is something that should only be adjusted with Stan(or his sons) or APQS help because when you adjust one thing on the Set up page it could affect another setting. You might also be getting the Needle not in the UP position message.

I hope I've explained it clearly.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

• 2 months later...

How warm is your sewing room? We have been having that problem the last week with our cold (for CA) weather. I talked to Tina and she had me run the machine to warm it up. It worked fine until the next day (when it was 56 degrees in the room) when it was sluggish again. We have been leaving a heater on in the room since then and no problems. She said there is an adjustment in the CQ box, but not to touch anything without talking to CQ about it.

John

Archived