timing done- now funny sound

I retimed yesterday due to a massive needle flex jam/break. Followed instructions in manual and all ok until hook needs to touch needle. Mine was nowhere near needle so had to slide hook assembly forward. Used a magnifier and made it so hook just touches needle as book shows. Stitching ok and hear the tick tick with every stitch(is the hook actually supposed to touch?) but I also have another sound. Only happens about every 3 feet or so. It is a shooshing that sounds like the bobbin is spinning freely. Anyone ever heard that one? Stitching goes along normally.

TIA, Sally

Hi Sally,

The needle should be just barely touching the hook. It shouldn't be a loud tick when it connects. However, if your stitching looks fine, I'd leave it. If your basket was actually rotating, I think the machine would jam, but check to make sure the basket finger is still in place and secure, after you hear that noise. I'm not sure what would make a swooshing sound only ever 3 feet of stitching.

Thanks Joan and Donna. I made it through the project that was on the frame without further mishap but plan to get a practice piece on and check this out further. I think I probably should back up the hook assembly a smidge but that is hard for me to do, so I am taking your advice and leaving as is until another problem rears it's head. Really wish APQS would take the maintenance class out on the road more often. I'd love to have that experience but don't know when or if I will ever make it to Iowa.:( Thanks again, Sally

Your welcome Sally. The maintenance class was great and I agree that it should be offered as often as possible. I tried to pay close attention to the timing demo because we will need to take the hook assembly off in order to put the new shaft on for the interchangeable feet that are coming out.

So glad you got through it....you're way ahead of the game now!

Archived