What's the best way to get the word out?

Hi guys. I admit I've been a lurker for a long while. Sorry. I drop in from time to time but find that most of what I want to contribute, someone else has already said.

But now I need a little help and advice. I hope you don't mind.

I've just started putting my website together (after being in business for over 5 years -- I know, about time). Anyway, I could really use some input on what is right and what is wrong with it. Please feel free to share your honest comments and suggestions. I won't be offended (just please no bashing).

Remember that it is still a work in process, but as I put the finishing touches on it, I would really appreciate your input.

The site is www.ThimbleBee.com

There are some basic pages about the services that I offer and then there is a chat forum. What do you think would be the best way to get the word out to other quilters that this is another place they can chat (for free) and share ideas?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my site and comment on it. BTW, I'm not trying to sell you anything, just looking for your honest comments. Thanks again.

Lora.

Thanks for your input. I haven't loaded all the pictures I need to load yet, so it's still a work in progress. I just wanted to get some "experts" to look at it and give me some ideas before I got back in there and messed with it a little more.

I'll go in and post more pictures and try to figure out what happened on the crashing issue. I know on one of my computers (running Windows Vista) I crash and "recover" on all but the home page. When I use my Windows 7 machines I don't have any problems. Funny though, I didn't have any problems on the Vista machine until AFTER I ran the Windows updates!

Thanks for taking a look at my website. I'd love it if you could send in your comments or suggestions any time. I'm always open to ideas. :D

Sewhappy, I'll look into that right away. Is it possible you had a typo in your email address? If you try again and still have the same problem, let me know and I'll contact my programmer right away.

Okay, now for facebook. I have a personal account on there already. Should I mention the website on my personal account or start a new account under the Thimble Bee name?

What ever you are known by most. Your business name or your name. I found (share it on facebook buttons) from ADD THIS. You can put these buttons on your webpage or every item you have for sale or want to show. When somoeone clicks on it, it goes to their facebook page and it gets shared by all of their friends. Great way to get the word out.

Lora,

I really like your new Website! It's interesting to look at. I also like the colors and details. One thing that did not work: I clicked on the Pixelblu, your web designer at the very bottom of the page. That link does not work. Just thought you would like to know....I bookmarked your site, and will come back to visit once you are up and running more smoothly. Nice!

Wow, I didn't know there were special Facebook buttons. I'm going to have to take a look at that. To be honest I'm not real FB saavy.

I talked to my programmer about the Pixieblu link not working and he's definitely going to get that fixed. He is the most patient programmer ever and is so willing to explain things nice and slow so I can write them in my notebook (which is currently lost somewhere in my sewing room). Some day down the road I hope to take over complete administration of the site, but until then Oliver (my programmer) is willing to help out and teach me in baby steps. I would highly advise anyone looking for a good web developer to give Oliver a call. If I had my notebook, I could give you his number. Well, hopefully he will get his link running and you can contact him that was if you are interested.

Okay, now I have homework. I have to get all of my pictures uploaded and sized properly. Ugh!

The chat page is ready to go, but I'm still working on some of the others. Thanks again for all of your ideas. I know I keep saying this, but I really really really do appreciate all of your comments and input. I'm taking them all to heart and working to make the site the best that I can. I'm so excited about getting it off the ground. :)

• 3 weeks later...

okay, I think I've worked out most of the bugs on the site. Would you mind giving it one more look. You know how it is.....I know what it's suppose to do and look like, so that's what I see. I've also heard from some folks that certain things don't work in thier older computers (like the registration links). I think we've got those items fixed too.

As always, I REALLLLLLLLLLLLY appreciate all your input. :D

Archived