another t shirt question

Cheri, I've made a lot of t-shirt quilts and have had great success with with tricot fusibile interfacing. It's a soft stretchable interfacing that works great. When you lay your square of t-shirt fabric down to press it on, you need to find out which way it stretches the most and also which way the interfacing stretches the most and then lay interfacing the opposite stretch as the t-shirt. Hope that makes sense. If most t-shirt stretch is horizontal than place the most tricot stretch going vertical. This stabilizes the t-shirt great. If I want a 14" t-shirt block, I will cut it at 15" motif centered, then cut tricot slightly smaller, iron on, then re-cut it the right 14" size so that the tricot completely covers the t-shirt block. Hope it helps. Kerri

Cheri,

Eleanor Burns has a pattern which recommends the non-woven iron-on light to medium weight pellon interfacing. I personally prefer the woven because I like the feel and drape better. I also think the lighter weight is better because t-shirt quilts can get so heavy! The main goal to stabilizing is to keep the knit from stretching so we can quilt it and it won't stretch out of shape. I had one customer use a product that was sold at Joanns especially for stabilizing t-shirts. It looked like a thin plastic film on the back of the shirts. I had no idea if it would work or quilt but I told her I would give it a try. It quilted just fine and didn't gum up my needle like I thought it would. I haven't had any problems quilting with the interfacing either. Good luck!

Archived