8 inch border? really?

Help! What can I do with an 8 inch border? It just seems so wide and intimidating. The first 2 inches (the darkest blue towards the inside) is actually a separate piece but the rest is a border fabric I guess. On the white octagons I'm doing silver snowflakes. Borders are definitely my most difficult challenges.

post--13461907553425_thumb.jpg

Great job posting, Tori!

As for the border, you are lucky it is a stripe!

Divide the border areas by stripes. Use that silver thread to do a squiggle line down the narrow silver stripes That will stabilize the border and then use a matching blue in the snowflake stripe to quilt around the snowflakes--use a fill like a stipple or even echo them--the space looks small so it might not take lots of stitching. Then the other two stripes can be stitched with a running design like up/down curls, again in thread to match the blues. Both are busy so a filler design like loops or peacock fill also can be used. Quilt with the same density as the body of the quilt.

As I looked again, I see that the borders don't match--obviously there are from the same bolt, just different strata from the stripes. Still, the same advice applies--quilt each stripe separately and with a loose design, nail down the narrow silver stripes with a squiggle stitch, use matching thread, etc.

If the border had been one fabric, then your choices would be daunting--but the stripes give you boundaries and will be easier.

Archived