Customer wants custom quilting. Any ideas?

I'm always asking everyone else, but I'll give this a try. If I had to do this on my own without any suggestions from my terrific friends on this forum, I would feather the purple star. I would meander in the white background and the brown triangle so my feathers would show. I would outline the green star and do something simple in it.

That is a pretty busy quilt. I think it would benefit from some structure. Looks like the lines in the red blocks is pretty bold so maybe should do straight lines using the print as your guide. Maybe even squiqly lines instead of straight. I would cc the star points on the sashing star. I would stipple the off-white area around the stars in the blocks and then do something swirly in the star.

When you look at the top, the friendship stars are the first thing you notice--both the size and the color attract the eye. The next thing you notice is the straight paths that surround the stars--the striped blocks and piecing that surround them. The last-but-not-least are the Ohio stars in green with their pretty floral square-in-a-square centers.

You get the pleasure of deciding which you want to accent and which become bit players. Or you can quilt each block so the density is even and the designs are similar--that way there is no "star of the show". Just pretty quilting all over. Isn't this fun!!:P;)

My thinking would lean toward the feathers in the friendship star as Libby suggested, quilting in either purple or red (to match the secondary color in the print). If you use a dark red, the quilting will show and be very pretty.

When you dissect the piecing you see one block is the friendship star with added triangles in pink in the corners. The other is the Ohio star 9-patch with striped squares in the corners and the quarter-squares that make the star. They have a background cream print on the edge to finish the on-point thingie going on with the friendship star. Are you still with me?

Use the red thread mentioned above and CC the green Ohio stars--you will be amazed how good dark red blends on olive green. Then make that striped fabric do some work by running vertical lines of stitching up and down just the red stripe. The red thread will blend in and you will only see texture. As you get to them, CC the pink triangles that butt up against the striped squares. Skip the tiny floral print around the center of the Ohio star (don't quilt them at all) and double CC the center square. Or place a continuous-line flower. Or mark diagonals and CC those lines. That's a good place to fancy it up a bit and earn that custom fee!

Use matching cream or beige thread to fill behind the friendship star--denser will make it pop, but medium density would be fine as well.

With two thread color changes, starts and stops in the friendship star only, and CC quilting through the Ohio stars, this one can be done quickly and still be "custom".

Whew! I pooped!!:P

Thanks for all the input. I posted this, then went to Best Buy, and was there for over an hour and a half trying to get them to take care of an issue I'm having with their best buy connect.

anyway, never got to look back at the posts until this morning. I saw feathers in the white parts around the friendship stars too, and cc's in the green. Don't know if I'm brave enough to use red thread, but I'll give it a try. Heaven know's I'm an expert at frogging now, if I can't do it:P

really like the sqiggly lines for the red squares, but coming up a little blank on something swirly for the the friendship stars. I will have to think on it a while.

thanks for your input. I'll post again, when I finish it

Archived