stopping and starting

Ritathequilter

Can someone please tell me how to stop and start properly in the middle of the quilt top?

I can't see pulling up the bobbin thread and slipping botht he top and bobbin thread between the layers on each and ever stop...it seems like it would take forever to do this.

I've been stitching in place for 2 or 3 stitches at the beginning and end of each design but am wondering if that's enough for this polyester thread. The thread seems slippery and I don't want to get a call from the customer in a few months saying that all the thread is pulling out. I'm also using a variagated thread right now so I don't want to pile too many stitches up to lock them cause it shows.

So, what is the norm...how do you all do this?

Thx

Rita

I un-sew enough to tie off and bury the threads. It is a little more time consuming. Some quilters will leave the threads for the customer to bury. I've done it enough that I can do it pretty fast.

You can like Marilyn Badger does, hold your needle up down button and move your needle forward only a few fiber widths (really tiny stitches) for about 5 stitches. Then go on to sew. This locks the stitches pretty good.

You can reverse and forward a couple of times. I believe what you've said about the polyester and have had the stitches come out.

Thanks Cheryl and Bonnie

All of the borders and sashing on this quilt are a sunshine yellow and wouldn't you know, I don't have any yellow thread but I did have the vari yellow/lime green/melon that looks gorgeous on the border but I've found that I've had to bury the threads cause the multiple stitches show too much. The background fabric in the SBS blocks is white so I'm able to bring the bobbin thread up, sew a little in place then snip it...and it doesn't show at all. I've tried Marilyn's way and usually do that when using a solid color...the tiny stitches blend right in but that's not working with this thread. :(

I don't think I'd let a qult go out of here without getting rid of the thread tails...it looks to unsightly.

Rita

How do you tie off and bury the thread? Like in hand quilting. My APQS rep showed me to start and stop by taking an extra stitch in place then pulling up bottom thread and cutting off......is this not a good idea? I am just quilting for myself and charity quilts at this time......but may want to do customer quilts in the near future...so I want to make sure I am doing it "right" Thanks.

Here is how I do it. I tie the two thread in a double knot not all the way down to the fabric but about 1/8" away from it. Then I use a "easy threading needle (I keep this on a magnet so I can always find it) the thread pop into the top of the eye so you do not thread it". I put both thread tails into the eye and then pull them thru about 1/2" inch and pull with a little tug to get the knot inside the layers. Then I clip the ends. I used to do this with each of the two threads separatley but one of my friends who is a master quilter (not a longarmer) showed me that you tie them together. Her work is in many of Gail Garber's books, Quilters Newsletter Magazine and such so I trust her that this is a good way to do it.

Archived