Dealer discounts

diane Bevans

Hi was just wondering do any of you give a dealer discount to these types of customers. I have started to do this, to generate more business and to get my name out there. I currently give a 40% discount, which is hefty, but I am not paying out advertising costs either. Just wondering what other Marketing methods or charges for this others might be doing.

Hm. Seems hefty, but I have not been marketing to qulit shops. I have gone to local stores that carry fabric and offer classes. I do one class night a week, (average cost for the class is $10/night, I charge by the month). When the students finish the quilt, I take it home to quilt at my "normal rate".

Cynthia

I know some of you will gasp but I do the shop owner's quilts and samples for FREE! In return, I save five spots each month for her shop's clients. Sometimes she collects more and I get them done too. She receives the quilts, I pick them up, quilt them and drop them off at the shop. She doesn't get involved in collecting payments and charges no percentage of my quilting fees.

Also, I get a very nice discount on everything I buy in the shop.

I may do 6 or 8 quilts/year for free for her. Most of them are pantos on quilts like Yellow Brick Road or Turning Twenty. There is an occasional custom job in there.

The reason I started out doing them for free is that I wanted to be able to do anything I wanted on the samples. If I wanted to do a high custom job that might run $600 or $700, I knew she wouldn't want to pay for it. But, those kinds of jobs get lots of attention and that's advertising for me. She travels to many quilt shows and if she takes a sample on which I have done a custom job, I may get 10 or 12 people who want their quilt done exactly like the one they say.

So, for me it has been worth more than the cost of the free quilting jobs.

I don't know if you know this or not, but when Mark helped me put the new hook on my machine he told me that if you call superior and tell them that you are an APQS owner they will set you up with a wholesale account, no tax id required.

I dont know about you all, but a discount is a discount.

www.superiorthreads.com.

(threads must be plural or you will get another company's website)

Blessings and hugs

Archived