Batting for wall quilt???

I have a customer with a paralellogram shaped quilt, its is 130" long and 40" wide and was made to hang on the wall going down a stairway. It is made of a combination of blocks all made by different people and they are different peicing techniques.

My question at the moment is about batting, she wants cotton. I'm concerned about the way it will hang, this is my first wall quilt. the quilting will be fairly dense.

I have read you all talking about wool on top of cotton and am wondering if this is what I should do??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

I can't advise on wall hanging batting, but wanted to mention an idea on keeping things in line while on the wall. I made a diamond shaped wall hanging and needed some way to keep the center corners out and flat so it would hang correctly from the single loop at the top. I used squares folded into triangles on each of the corners sewn on with the binding (raw edges to raw edges) and used 1/4 inch dowel rods tucked into the pockets of the triangles. I should have also used some hanging sleeve partway on the edges to keep it from waving between the corners, the hanging sleeve would need to be short enough so you can get the dowel in the sleeve and then tucked under the triangles. It works very well and a sewing needle/corsage pin in the wall is enough to hang the whole thing.

I think Shana is right that the cotton lays flat but make sure it is dense enough or it may be wavy. I'd use QD mid to high density. Now if you really want to make the quilting pop use a 1/2 layer of wool on top, just tease it apart. It really adds a lot of definition. If you use just cotton you won't see much quilting definition I don't think.

I make quite a few large wall hangings for commission and I use a product called Battlilizer. It is made by Hoop Sisters by Quilters Dream. It is a mixture of stabilizer and batting. It is mostly used for embroidery machines, It adds a layer of stability that allows the exra "tug" or "pull" of machine embroidery. It makes the quilt lay perfectly flat and straight. Also great for thread painting. No puckering at all and you have the quilting done at the same time.

Archived