How to quilt a Lover's Knot?

I received a call from one of my customers asking me if I would quilt a queen size Lover's Knot (Eleanor Burns's pattern) for her. She may want it custom quilted, rather than a panto. It is a wedding present for someone very close.

I need to come up with a few suggestions to show her for custom work, plus a few pantos as a back-up plan.

I searched for this, but only came up with a different design done by Patty-Jo a few years ago. I would love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks,

Sandy

I am making two lover's knots quilts for my married nephews and their wives. I also would like some advice on quilting them. I would like to do custom work for the nephews. Thanks for any suggestions. And, thanks to Sandy for posting this in the first place.

Sandra,

I found an advertisement for homemade quilts (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Lover%27s+Knot+Pattern&view=detail&id=F56F39070B35E93EF6397608D9BB01784BEA49DF&first=0&qpvt=Lover%27s+Knot+Pattern&FORM=IDFRIR) and one of them is the Helen Burns' Lover's Knot. It "appears" as if it was SIDed. I cannot see any stitching on the top at all. I really hate total SID jobs and won't do that on the quilts for my nephews and their wives. Check the site and let me know what you think.

If it is that Eleanor Burns pattern, quilt it to accent the interlocking parts. In the one linked above, the parts to accent are the dark green and the medium green that travel through the design. Use a batting that will pop a bit--80/20, all poly, or wool--and SID those pieces, paying attention to seams where you want to have the illusion of one section folding under another. The rest can be quilted with a medium overall design to make those areas recede. If the intense ruler work is not what you want for these quilts, catch the seams as you stitch your filler.

I think EB is a fabulous technician--she has developed and invented so many easy techniques for piecing. And her templates/rulers are ingenious. But *sigh* her quilts are so boring to quilt.......JMHO.;)

Thanks, Linda. That is the quilt I will be getting soon. I am hoping my customer will go for a really nice panto instead of custom.

I like your idea, but, as you said...a boring quilt! I am also a bit pressed for time, so I really will be stressed to get a custom done for her deadline. But, if that is what she really wants, I will do it as she has been a great customer.

Would you stitch on the dark green and light green sections, or just SID them? I'm having trouble getting a good visual of what to do.

Archived