Yikes! My machine was making a metal on metal clicking sound!!!

So here I am on the very last row of a quilt, and suddenly my machine starts making a very strange metal on metal sound and then the thread breaks. I take out the bobbin and find the bobbin thread has split some how and part has been wrapping itself around thread coming off the bobbin while still in the bobbin!

Then I look at the stitches and they are sitting up a little to high so I gently touch one of them and a whole line of stitches is loose, like a loose tooth with just one little root holding it in place. Ok now I have frog all that out back to good stitches and try to figure out what is causing this. The bobbin thread that did make it to the quilt is extremely fine.

I change the needle, blow out and oil the bobbin area, I rethread and change the magna glide bobbin just in case that is the problem...Start stitching again and have nice stitches but the metal on metal sound is still there and seems to be getting worse. OK maybe I need a WD40 bath to boot. I get the screw driver and loosen the back screw on the throat plate and go the front one, IT IS SO LOOSE IT ALMOST JUMPED INTO MY HAND!!!!

Apparently, when I cleaned the machine before I started this quilt I didn't tighten that one down and it vibrated like it was trying to escape. Amazing I was able to get as far as I did, before the noise started. It still doesn't solve the mystery of the bobbin thread problelm unless it was a dull needle but I began this quilt with new one as on every quilt....

Lesson learned, make sure you button (screw down) all the screws before quiltng!! I am probably very lucky I didn't damage anything!

Nigel,

That very well could be the case. I have no idea how it was doing what it was doing. I am just glad it is fixed! The bobbin thread was splitting and a very slim line of it was acting like a bobbin thread should, the rest of it was unwinding from the bobbin and the left over fibers were wrapping around the remainder of the bobbin thread that was not getting into the stitch path yet some how still staying wrapped around the bobbin.

I wanted to share this incase any one else has a similar experience. Easy fix but scary while happeing.

Archived