bobbin holes

Hi all,

I don't post often but do have a question. I got some aluminum bobbins when I bought my machine and have always used them without any problems. I know that most of you seem to use the steel with holes on one side. I have a lot of those and need to use them. I seem to remember hearing that it is better to have the holes a certain direction when in the bobbin. Is there a preference?

Thanks,

Jane

All you need to do is make sure that when the thread is exiting the bobbin in the case and you pull on it, the case should spin clockwise. I can't envision which way the thread is wound so I'll leave it at that!;)

If you use the holes in the bobbin to put the thread through to secure it when you wind them, then yes, the bobbin will be inserted the same way each time--I just don't know if that's "holes out" or "holes in"!!:P

Jane,

Actually it will depend on the winder you use as to whether the holes are "out" or "in". Turbo winders wind the thread so that Julie is correct....holes go out. That will make the bobbin unwind in the clockwise direction as Linda advised.

However, just in case someone is using an older style bobbin winder or one from a different company, those wound the bobbin in a different direction and the holes go "in". Just make sure the bobbin spins clockwise when you pull the thread tail and you'll be good to go. :)

Thanks everyone. You are awesome! I am going to work with these bobbins until I like them as much as the few aluminum ones I have. I'm tired of unwinding thread to start another quilt!

Archived