Cross hatching in borders- corner question?

If you are crosshatching only the corners then I'd do it just like grasshopper says. If you are going to continue around the whole border then I just pick a place to start in the middle of the border and continue around and I will fudge the last few in when I get to the middle again if the space isn't exactly the size I'm stitching.

If you are using a ruler, measure and mark your diagonals with a diagonal line out from each corner. If you are lucky you can use the piecing as a guide. If the short side measures 60 inches and the long side measures 90 inches, crosshatching of 1 1/2 inches, 2 inches, or 3 inches will work, of course. If one side has an odd measurement like 53 inches you will need to figure a happy medium type width for the CH-ing. Another solution is to CH the borders, leaving out the corner squares. SID where the squares would be and drop a separate design in the corner square that matches your quilting in the body of the quilt.

For the best results with ruler CH-ing, calculate and mark all lines on the sides before you load the top. The top and bottom borders can be marked on the frame.

Another way to figure spacing without measuring is to take a long strip of calculator tape or thin paper like Golden Threads and cut the length you want to CH to cover. Fold and fold again, creasing the paper well and folding until you have a width for one space that is pleasing. Unfold the well-creased paper and lay along the border to mark tick-marks at each crease for even spacing. Do the same with the adjacent border space, which, if it's a different length may need to be slightly adjusted. Fold and fold until your second spacing is as close to the first as you can get. Use that creased paper to mark the adjacent border. If the spacing is only off a tiny fraction all will be well.

If you are using a crosshatch board, the fudge factor becomes a problem, with slight shifting of the board all along the border to make the corner diagonal work.

When you get to the corners, extend both directions of stitching to cover to the edges.

Archived