Embroidered top needs quilting ideas

Guest Linda S

Hmmmmm - to tell you the truth, the embroidery matches the fabric so well, it's hard to tell what's embroidered and what isn't! ;) You might want to turn your picture into black and white and then block out the blocks that are embroidered. See what pattern or design emerges from what is left and try to get an idea from that. My eyes are having trouble finding any place to rest as it is now, but I think once you isolate the embroidered blocks and look at the rest, something will come to mind. I'll bet it will look lovely when you've finished!

Linda gives great advice. The idea to scan a b&w version would help a lot.

Looking at this very blended quilt, if you can't find a cohesive design to quilt, perhaps just quilt the elements.

Outline all the embroidered blocks with cream thread. Don't stitch a fill behind because the density of the embroidery is different on each one and I think you will lose the embroidery if you fill behind.

The full green blocks that alternate with the embroidered ones, plus the full blue blocks--I would stitch an X in those to continue and mimic the hourglass blocks and stitch the same CC in those to match. If you stitch the X first, you can CC almost completely across one row continuously. The diagonals to make the big X's can be done from block to block in some areas. Now all your plain blocks have the same structure as the hourglass blocks and whatever CC design you choose will unify the piecing.

The asymmetrical frames around the bigger emb. blocks can be SID-ed as well as the blue border.

The border is perfect for a running design and a leaf motif similar to something in the embroidery would work well.

Thread color would depend on what looks best but a goldy-green thin thread would be pretty. Let us know what you decide and pictures please when you finish.

Archived