Competing with Computerized Quilting

Grammie

I want to ad my perspective and thoughts to this discussion as someone who embraces change and technology comfortably (and as someone who highly values good communication!)

First, I think we should all agree; Discussion boards are at best, an imprecise communication medium.

Hester, mentioned the word cheating (back on page 1). I don?t think she meant to call Grammy a cheater, or say that she cheated her customer for creating something wonderful that was pleasing to both the creator and customer.

The problem is that we don?t really know precisely what she meant by the word ?cheating?. Most of the time everyone on this site is supportive even in the midst of disagreement. Although, in some of the responses, it seems as there was some offense taken! (remember what I said first though, I could be incorrectly reading this into the responses)

If we were all sitting together talking we could ask, what do you mean by that, and she could explain, and back and forth the conversation would go until are ideas and thoughts would be more precisely understood. (after all conversation is also an imprecise communication medium). Anyway, I hope you understand what I mean. Hester could be right in one sense, and wrong in another, it really depends on what she meant. A single box of text does not give enough room, nor the opportunity, for truly expressing ideas like personal conversation can.

Secondly, is technology ?cheating?, (I am not picking on Hester at all here, I just want to use this word since it is already woven into this discussion)?

I wonder if?

When thread was first created by a machine, if those that spun their own, thought those using it were cheating, or

When the first hardened steel needles were manufactured, if those that sharpened a bone or stick to sew thought that was cheating (Okay, maybe this one is a stretch! ) or

When fabric was produced by machines, if hand weavers though quilters using this ?fabric? were cheating, or

When the people began to quilt with a sewing machine, and not hand stitching, did the ?sew by hander?s? consider that cheating.

When designs were first digitized and printed on fabric, did hand dyers and designers think, that creating patterns with a computer was cheating, or?

On and on it could go...

We need to embrace technology, utilize it, think out of the box, encourage those that pioneer new ideas and methods, and do what Mary Hibbs said (Page 1) provide feed back for board members, and coordinators of shows and classes, so that competition can be judged more fairly. My favorite part of quilt shows, and competition so far, is to discover what can be learned by those that do think outside of the box, and be inspired to try new and different things!

I value Hester?s comments, I value Grammie?s, I value all the comments by each contributor to this discussion. To bad we couldn?t just be sitting around a discussing these ideas and others inter-personally. Maybe this discussion board technology is CHEATING all of us!!! LOL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To clear up what anyone might have thought I was saying..if you re read my my post I said "I" would feel like "I" was cheating..how anyone else chooses to feel is their business. I have to agree that doing E2E, it would be wonderful to have a computer running the machine..but when it comes to custom "I" wouldn't have much pride in a computer aided design, albeit that it would be perfect.;)

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really interesting thread...

I haven't noticed anyone addressing the fact that regardless of whether you're running a handguided or computerized machine, it takes the same amount of skill to choose the appropriate designs for that particular quilt. I've seen bad computerized quilting as well as good. The computer is just a tool, as are stencils, rulers, etc. They don't replace the artistic eye of a good quilter.

Good handguided quilting has a beautiful rhythm and flow that a computerized machine can't duplicate, and good computerized quilting has a precision that few handguided machines can match. Each of those things can be looked at as a plus or a minus, depending on your point of view. Seems to me that there is a place for both.

I know that new technology seems threatening sometimes, but as a comparison, would we want to get rid of our PCs and have to go back to snail mail? I resisted going online for a long time, thinking that I did fine without it, but here I am, and there is a whole new world opened up for me because of it.

First of all, I would like to say congratulations Grammie Tammie on your new digs.....you go girl.

I have not been on the post for awhile...or at least not since CQ class....what a blast.

My father was in a bad auto accident that ending up claiming his life, so, I have been on the run between Indiana and North Carolina and have not had a lot of time for the computer or reading.

I agree with (name removed) and Jo Ann Hoffman along with others on this topic.

I also agree that it does take a lot of time, preparation along with a good artistic eye to quilt no matter if it is quilted by hand or with CQ. I just finished an over sized king quilt for one of my customers with CQ and when I delivered it to her at the local quilt shop a class was about to begin and everyone wanted to see the quilt. The customer was so proud of her quilt especially since everyone was commenting on the beauty of the quilt and that the quilting was fabulous. It took 55 minutes to complete one row using CQ and required three days of work from loading to delivery.

I will say that I don?t think that anyone with a CQ on a quilt machine could ever mass produce?lol we would have to work around the clock and never eat or sleep and I?m not into that?.lol. As for competition??I feel that a quilt should be judged on the workmanship that went into the quilt, its design along with the quilting. I have to be honest with all of you, the quilt shows that I have had the opportunity to attend; I have been in absolute awe looking at the quilts that qualified to be there. I hope that some day I will have the opportunity to have one of my quilts qualify for show let alone win a ribbon.

I believe that we are all in this together and share the same love for quilting.

Happy quilting to you or was that happy trails to you? Oh well I guess that is what happens when we get old.:P

Happymountainmom

Pat

Ok this will be totally self serving, but as a digitizer & CQ owner & lover of freehand quilting as well, I would like to see the following categories:

-Mixed freehand/CAQ (Computer Aided Quilting)

-Total CAQ (those with no freehand at all)

-Digitized Design & Execution

-CAQ Art (CAQ with a less traditional look)

The first two categories are pretty self explainatory, but the one for Digitized Design & Execution would recongnize the work of our digitizers & their unique design capabilities, creativity, & the goal toward perfect digitizing & execution of such designs. The last category would be for those quilts that are non-traditional but use CAQ in some aspect. I personally like to use mixed techniques in my quilting, but also primarily do art quilts for show, so they often are painted, dyed or airbrushed, many are pictorial. I would like to have a category that would drive the non-traditional side of computer aided quilting. This would open the field to alot more quilters to see what a computer aided machine can do & yes I am talking about thread painting lots of texture in & executing it via CQ.

So there you go - my 2 cents,

Jessica

• 1 month later...

Jessica I like the way you defined these catagories.

I believe this will come to past. It will only bring in more competition quilts and more opportunities for all quilters.

I love Quilt shows so the more Catagories the Merrier the Show.

I cannot believe the length of this very interesting discussion. Such passion from all these wonderful quilters. I love that. It is such a good subject and I value everyone's ideas and points. To Everyone who contributed Thank you. It wasn't what I expected but WOW!

• 1 year later...

This is an older post from days gone by.

It was a very interesting topic filled with some very good points. I cannot help but wonder if since a year and a half ago if any who may have contributed have the same opinions about the computerized quilting world.

Also with so many newer members to our site what do others think.

It does give you pause. I haven't really changed my mind about computerization and if anything I probly do more of it than I ever intended to but I still love freehand and do it daily almost.

So have you changed? I'm curious.

Hugs to ya,

Grammie Tammie

Archived