Cute Story

My 84 year old MIL asked last year when I was making her a "blanket" since I had that big quilting machine. I made her a queen size with HSTs using greens and yellows-to-dark oranges. It had a nice color transition from lights in the middle to darks at the edges. The back was a soft green. We placed it on her bed and she commented on how loud (bright) it was. After a while, she flipped over to the back side as she liked that better!

My brother-in-law came home and was shown the top (back). When shown the real top side he went on and on about how beautiful and lovely colors, how many pieces, how long did it take,etc. The kicker was--how much was it worth!! I said, oh maybe $600 or more. Suddenly, the top side was much more appealing to my MIL and when I left, the quilt was top-side-up!!! Gotta love her!!

Linda Rech

Truer words have never been spoken....my MIL did the same thing with me when I made her first Rail Fence quilt...she liked the muslin side better until she found out how much it was worth....and that was cuz she was standing outside a door listening in on a conversation I was having with one of her sons.....the quilt was also turned right side up before I left.. Gotta love 'em.

Wow, I guess I am just mean. I refuse to make quilts for people who don't understand the cost. I just can't see the point, they don't think they got something good and I feel put out that they dont appreciate it. Nice to know they can be educated.

Which reminds me, my MIL does understand, and hasn't asked for a quilt (She has my first quilt) so I want to make her one. I want to do a Machintosh style quilt. I think it would be great fun to put into a show, no one would think it was mine :) I guess I should make that one of this years projects.

Ferret

Hi. My version of this story is about hand quilting. A few years ago, my husband and I spent a year (off and on) hand quilting a queen sized wholecloth wedding quilt for his nephew. I was very dissapointed when we received the thank you note for the "nice blanket". Later my husband explained to him and his wife the time and effort involved, but they have never acknowledged anything to me. It took a while for me to feel good about making anything for anyone. Now though, I can crank out a wonderful quilt, and I don't have to invest too much.

On a positive note, I did learn alot fom that quilt. My hand quilting stitch is pretty darn good now, if I do say so myself! I really do love hand quilting, and I plan to always make time for it.

Tina

Tina--

How generous of you to give such a wonderful gift to your nephew. Now my "evil" side comes out--next time, have the "nice blanket" professionally appraised and include a copy of the appraisal with the gift---only for insurance purposes, of course!!! That'll wake 'em up, I bet!

Linda R

I also have a cute story...Several years ago a co-worker (who was always looking for something cheap) asked me to make a quilt for her. She always said she liked looking at them when I used to take some to work to show a fellow quilter. We did sort of our private sew & tell. Well, I told this person I was not in business and my quilts were gifts for family. She kept pressing to know how much I would charge her for a queen size quilt. I would not give her a quote because I was definately not making one for her. Well, one day I ran to my LQS at lunch time and came back with a bag of fabric for a twin size top (only). I brought it in from the car to show my fellow quilting friend. This other co-worker ran over to see the fabric, too. She just loved it. I showed them the picture in my bood of what it would look like. She asked me what I paid for it and when I said it cost me just a bit over $100, but I still needed the thread, the batting and the backing fabric she was shocked. She proceeded to announce, in a rather loud voice, that I just got totally ripped off! She just bought a queen size quilt in Kohl's that was on sale for $35 and then she had a 20% off coupon, so it was considerably less. Boy did I get ripped off.

Some people just don't understand, and in her case, she was just looking for something almost free. I am so glad I stood firm to my policy of not doing "business" without a license, and insurance. I would have been in a very awkward situation.

Archived