Questions about Stencils

Some time ago I needed a pattern for a 7 inch block and I used a flower stencil, from a fabric store, that I had (and never used) with the laser from the front of the machine. This stencil was a continuous line design and it went very well and fast. My question is when you use stencils are they continuous or do you have stops and starts. What are your sources for continuous stencils. Now that I think about it, it would not necessarily have to be a stencil but just the pattern on paper, since I'm following it with the laser. I think I would use this method more if I had a source for continuous line patterns for blocks. I know some of you use stencils a lot. Like I said, the few I have I bought years ago in the fabric store and never used them.

I remember Mary Beth had a thread about stencils a while back but I don't think continuous lines was addressed.

I have a stack posie quilt to do and I would like to put something in each block and sashing rather than an all over pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

Janice - before I got my IQ, I used stencils a lot. Before using each one, I would take the time to figure out the sewing path for the least amount of backtracking. Generally, you can do most of them without having to over-sew too many areas, unless you are doing something with a spine like feathers. Now that I do have the IQ, I love to watch its logic as it stitches and see the paths it takes instead of having to over-sew a lot of areas. Turns out, I think a lot like the IQ!

Trace your stencils with a pencil on paper, as Heidi and Linda suggested, and figure a path to stitch them continuously. This may entail tracing only one round of a two-pass design and then give you the option of adding additional elements to make the stencil fill the space. Like using a round or flower petal stencil and adding freehand leaves at the correct spots to fill a square block. This will stretch your stencils to use them in different applications and also stretch your freehand skills. Another way to make a custom-ish design with stencils is to use a medium stencil in a larger block, stitch one outline, and use a favorite filler outside the stitching for a trapunto-type treatment. Very effective on plain blocks with matching thread.

Cindy Needham has a Craftsy class in which she goes over how to use the different components of stencils. It is geared towards quilting on a domestic machine, but the design basics are the same no matter the system. I really learned a lot from her class! I'd love to take one of her classes in person one day!

Originally posted by JBQuilts

Thanks Linda and Heidi.

Heidi, Can you name any of the continuous ones that you have?

I too many to list :P. I like StenSource and Stencil Company but I must warn you it is very addictive! LOL I have many of Pam Clarks line stencils which are perfect for dividing areas so that you can do freemotion designs and keep the spacing correct. Her line and centering stencils (spider shape) are a must have.

Archived