Alzheimers quilt auction-pics

Dinners done and I finally finished the little quilt! I promised to explain how I did this so I will.

I am working on another feather book and got carried away with my doodleing! Before I knew it, my doodles turned into a block! Since I was meeting with my Longarm group "The Mousequilteers" the next day to go over our personal contributions for the Alzheimers project, I thought this block would be fun to do.

I had always wanted to create a mini wholcloth so why not start now! With the drawing in hand all I had to do was transfer it to the fabric which I did with the aid of a lightbox. However, instead of using a water soluable marker (which would have been too thick ...and I don't care for the fine ones) I rummaged through all my gel pens. I knew I wanted to stitch this design with Lime Green thread (since this color is my all time favorite feel good color ) I said to myself..hey, if you can use a permanet pen for redwork, why not use it for this! If it doesnt work out, I'll just draw another! It worked, I can see it and it was nice and fine. It did'nt take too long to get that all done and I was actually going to stitch it today but I just couldnt wait and put it on the longarm about 6:30 pm last night. I set the stitch length to as small as it would go and just went for it with my Lime Green friend! It took me about an hour and 1/2 to quilt. I did not use a magnifier but I do use a good side light and I have a good opthomoligist!

After looking at it last night and this morning I felt it was okay but it could definetly be better! So, I rummaged through my marking pens and found a lime green sharpie! It was terrifying to put that pen to the fabric at first but once I did, there was NO going back! After coloring away all day... yes, ALL day (due to the fact that the ONLY lime green sharpie I has was an ultra fine tip) I was happy, it was Lime Green... and I was happy! The quilting detail popped the way I wanted and it was much more pleasing to look at. But wait..what about some bling? I have some of those glitzy little gems. All it needed was a few here and a few there and Bam...we have a finished product!

Sew there you have it...that's the birth of my little mini quilt. I hope this explains why and how I did this. If you have any questions holler and if you have something to share, share it! That is the way we keep the passion for longarm quilting going!

Mary Beth~

Did you check this one out?? I laughed so hard I am in tears!

http://www.amisimms.com/italtu.html

:P

Sherry, I love the green sharpie technique, that is good that it did'nt bleed over, great idea!;)

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I just went to that web site to take a look...omg that "Worst Quilt In the World" thing is the funniest. I have seen some bad quilts - and even tried to quilt them, but those are hysterical!!

Hi Linda

In this case, the Sharpie did not bleed. It could have been due to the stitches being very small and acting like a fence or a barrier. Nonetheless, you must ALWAYS test for yourselfs! Trust me, the sharpies are permanet!!!

Sherry, I love the green sharpie technique, that is good that it did'nt bleed over, great idea!;)

Sherry,

I didn't think you could do anything to make it better, the sharpie did enhance the little quilt. I love it both ways - so I can't say you made it better!! Great job.

Linda,

I could not believe that turkey quilt. I am ashamed to say Sedalia, MO is just a few miles away!! Bread wrappers?? - who would have thought to use bread wrappers as batting??

Just wanted to share something I just discovered regarding another theory as to *why* my piece did not bleed. I am working on another piece and just discovered what I think was a key factor. On the Zest fabric, I used spray starch prior to marking the design on it. To be specific, it was Niagara Heavy Spray Starch. On the piece I am working on now, I only ironed it, I did not use spray starch. And...here's the thing, I DO see a bleed! So there you have it, that is all I know but once again I encourage you to test for yourselves and make your own judgment call

Sher~

As we speak I tested the sharpie on some muslin with poly thread, the black bleeds ALOT more than any other color, & the darker the color the more it "seams" to bleed, this is interesting to me.

I came to the conclusion & assumed that a fix sprayed directly on the fabric would seal the fabric before coloring, thank-you very much for confirming this! I don?t have spray starch, but I have scotch guard that I use around the house.

I have my very own version of the quilt you did, but I promise you, it compliments the color you used. I just have to fix the crystals tomorrow, stay tuned! :)

Hi Sherry~

Here is my mini auction quilt, did'nt have time to fuse the crystals yet.

I bet mine took awhole lot less time to stitch out on CQ, I think maybe 1.5 minutes!;)

It is 6" sq. going to get it in the mail next week.

Thanks for the inspiration, now how about every body else??:P

...that it would be Oregon Orange!!! I LOVE it and I a soooooo happy to see you participate in this cause! Please update us when you get the bling added! Thank you Linda!!!

I think it would be awsome to have as many longarm quilted pieces contributed as we could. Come on all you CQ owners, I am challanging you to take 1.5 min. out of your schedules and send them out!

And don't think I am letting the rest of you off the hook either, you don't have to make anything elaborate...just do it! It is so fun to share with others and it will be even gooder to see them bid on!

Archived